Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The White Powdery Stuff







 
And so the snow arrives on day 6.


I woke up to the radio blaring reports of schools being either closed or delayed by 2 hours.  I stumbled out of bed nearly killing myself in the process and pushed open the curtains and indeed everything was coated in a thick coat of white.   The next thing I did was scramble for the phone to see if there were any emails from work.  None. 
I’m sure plenty of you out there can sympathize with the feeling that came over me, a combination of rage, anger, disappointment and then resignation.  It’s quite the emo trip actually.
Once again though, the earmarks of officially having morphed into a ‘hag’ has shone through.  My first instinct was not to run out into the white stuff and romp around like an eager puppy.  Rather it was to start pulling out long johns, protective gear and check out the soles of my shoes to see which would be most appropriate for the weather.

I swear I’m such a grump.

And while driving?  Let’s just say it’s best to stay out of my way.  It’s not that I feel like my car is invincible over unplowed streets but I do drive defensively hence tend to get from point A to point B with little to no incidents.  The problem often becomes other drivers. 
 
Wait...I can’t lie, today I did something a bit boneheaded and I have to confess.  *sigh*
I was coming down a hill driving fairly slowly, cautious about break application when the little Toyota in front of me hit its break…hard.  Had I given enough distance between the two vehicles there would have been no issues but alas because I was distracted by something on the news, I didn’t notice, hit my break and my whole darn car skidded, shimmied and shuddered all over the place (and I do mean all over the place), finally coming to a tilted stop.  Thank the lord there were no other cars beside me in either direction.
The drive itself wasn’t so bad (after that and my heart having calmed down), the streets were disgusting but not a lot of cars were out and about.  Not sure why, it was the same yesterday as well.  Where is everyone?  What is everyone else doing that I'm not doing?  Why am I so darn dedicated?  Okay...moving along...the office is also fairly quiet but people are straggling in.  One colleague told me that it took him 3.5 hours to get to work.  Um…yea, no. 
Okay, off to be a little productive. 
Cool side note:  I was going to get coffee once in the office, trudging by the ice rink.  The music was blaring over the loud speakers, sort of eerie over the howl of the snowy wind and what was playing?  Let it Snow.  Kinda funny to realize that I never heard the song ever while it was actually snowing.   Pretty awesome-sauce.
Enjoy some of the pics from this morning J
 

 
In case you can't read what I wrote in the snow: "Have a good day"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment