Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 26, Thursday, July 24



And so the Night of Power has arrived, Laylat al-Qadr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laylat_al-Qadr).  The first verses of the Quran were revealed within these last 10 nights; given to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) by Allah (swt).  Many mosques around the world complete the recitation of the Book within this time during the extra night prayers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraweeh).  And talk about spirituality, phew!

Imagine for yourself going through a whole day of fasting and prayer then breaking fast at which time your non-functioning brain pretty much wants to stop working altogether.  You just want to lie down and stop moving.  Instead you have to do the final evening prayer which you somehow manage to squeeze out, or at least that’s how it is for me.  I’m fairly certain far more divine individuals than me don’t try to quite rush it, they take their time and wring out every ounce of usefulness from the prayer.  Me?  I do the ‘user lite’ version.  Actually it wasn’t always like that.

Back in the day, your girl (that’s me) used to be a Sunday school teacher.  Get off the floor and quit laughing please.  I’ll have you know I was pretty good, the kindergarteners I was responsible for loved me and it was completely voluntary, starting off as a fluke for nefarious reasons to be sure.  My girlfriend, who I had met at school, and I decided that we wanted to get more ‘involved’ in the community.  What did this mean?  Were we that socially conscious at the age of 16 and 14 respectively?  Um…no.  We wanted to do what most girls our age wanted to do…meet boys.  And since meeting American boys were pretty much unworkable for us, we decided that we needed to loiter at the mosque more.

That was the beginning of a long love affair (with the mosque).  The love of the children and the joy of teaching took us back every Sunday, something we did for years.  Once I became involved in the mosque, my family quickly followed suit and soon enough instead of praying Taraweeh at home, we would join the congregation.  Back then during my childhood Ramadan fell during the winter months (remember the Islamic calendar runs for 11 months) and even though the benefits of this was shorter fasting days, it also meant freezing cold weather, ice, snow, etc…

My mother was pretty firm that we should go regardless of the climate, and I mean adamant, hence even if we ‘fell asleep’ after breaking fast (of course out of pure exhaustion…but not really, for the most part we didn’t want to go out in the crappy weather) she would take a cattle prod (no not really, her glares were more than enough) to poke us into motion.  And off we went bundled up in our heaviest coasts and our clunkiest boots.  One never knew after 2 hours of praying what one would be greeted by outside.  On a few occasions it was a blanket of ice, on others there was snow gracing windshields.

The Night of Power though was exciting.  We would get specially dressed well ahead of time, having made plans to meet up with friends at the mosque so we could “pray” together.  Now why did I put that particular word in quotes?  Because even though we did pray, the fact was back then when the mosque was still at its infancy, the view from the women’s section into the men’s was direct, or at least half of it was.  We younger girls would ‘conveniently’ find the only space to stand to pray in the area which was open so we could check out the guys.  Yup, that’s what we did.  I admit it.  I’m calling myself out.  I won’t call out any of my other friends, because y’all know who you are.  Let me tell you what though, made Taraweeh almost fun!  Many eons later my mom told me with a knowing smile that she knew exactly what we girls were up to and thought it funny and normal. 

Once at the mosque parents would separate from kids and the rest of the night was spent in a crush of humanity all trying to beg forgiveness to Allah (swt) for their transgressions and ask him for his benevolence.  Back then I barely heard the dua (the prayer) that we made, far too wrapped up in flirting or talking about boys.  But as age has settled in, the words of the Imam started to sink in, mean something, and become powerful.

Tonight I stayed up, praying.  Sitting on the prayer mat crying.  I had logged into the mosque to pray along and at the end when the Imam launched into the dua, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.  One could hear the sobbing reverberating from all corners of the gigantic room.  My mother who was there in person confirmed it was exceptionally emotional.  As the Imam spoke, asking for forgiveness and benevolence from the Almighty, his voice broke around the words regarding the conflict in Palestine.  No, it wasn’t about Muslim’s dying, although we all knew that there was a vast majority who instead of buying Eid clothes were being buried instead, the message was about human suffering, the tragedy that was unfolding.  The tears were for all of humanity.

Anyhow, I pray that everyone’s prayers have been heard and that Allah (swt) is listening, particularly for the peace of those who are suffering around the world.

Anyhow…Happy Ramadaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment