Friday, July 18, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 19, Thursday, July 17



OMG, 19 days and counting?  Woah.  Where is the time going to?
I woke up the other day and saw some grey hair, oh how time is flying.  Okay, well actually I’ve always had grey hair, since the age of 17 or so that probably doesn’t matter. 
But regardless I’m shocked that with all the anticipation of Ramadan, now we’re squarely approaching the last 10 days, considered to be the holiest within the month itself.  The Quran says that it is better than 1000 months (not day’s folks, months).  Here’s a passage so you can read for yourself that I’m not just saying “stuff”:
There has come to you Ramadan, a blessed month which Allah has enjoined you to fast, during which the gates of heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed, and the rebellious devils are chained up. In it there is a night which is better than a thousand months, and whoever is deprived of its goodness is indeed deprived.” Narrated by al-Nasa’i, 2106; Ahmad, 8769. classed as saheeh by al-Albani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 999.

So what’s this mean?  You spend a lot of time, as much as you can, praying and asking from Allah (swt).  And when I say ask, I do mean that.  You ask for anything/everything you can.  You got a free pass which means you should utilize it well.  And why 10 days?  It is said that the Quran was brought down sometime during these nights although we don’t know when precisely.  It’s recommended that instead of trying to take an ‘educated’ (and how can it really be anyway when there’s no record of precisely when?) guess, you cover your basis and hit every night. 
A few men will separate from their families, head off to the mosque and literally sequester themselves from the world (including work) to pray, do ibadah and ask for forgiveness.  This sort of deep devotion amazes me as well as generates a sense of awe.  I’ve seen these guys, living almost like vagrants, within the confines of the masjid.  They are fed by the generosity of their fellow man and all the amenities are provided so that they can focus on their spirituality.  I try to think about it and it makes me go slightly woozy in the head.  I’ve spoken to one friend who did this and he told me that it’s the most uber religious experience you will ever go through short of going for the Hajj.
The whole ‘forgive sin’ thing is actually quite ginormous.  Allah (swt) is super forgiving, to put it in modern day terms.  There are so many ways in which to show your regret for past misdeeds but the easiest?  Well…if you ask, it shall happen.  Wonder what I mean?  Dude seriously, it’s quite easy.  If you ask Allah (swt) for forgiveness, particularly during these 10 nights and more importantly during the Night of Power (which I will write about in more detail later so chillax but in essence the night we ‘assume’ may be that which the Quran was gifted to mankind), you will be granted forgiveness for your sins but the trick is?  Ask.  It’s so simple.  Supplicate yourself before the Almighty and just say “forgive me”. 
Now a day, opening a bottle of soda or juice is more complicated than that.  Sheesh.  You think I'm exaggerating?  Well I bought this coconut juice the other day (see pic here --->) excited because it was 'all natural' but I had no flippin' clue how to get the darn thing open.  I sat there for God only knows how long puzzling over it, turning it around, poking and pulling, trying to find directions.  Go figure, a drink that needs instructions on how to access it?!  The packaging, although j'adorbs, was quickly disliked for it caused complications in my life.  It took me and another friend far too long to figure it out.  Shameful to say the least.  Oh, and it doesn't taste good, AT ALL.  It's expensive to boot so spare yourself the duckets and just go get yourself a coconut, whack into it (without slicing off your fingers) and enjoy.  This stuff actually is downright gross and I feel sad for the amount of money I wasted on it and...wow, I SO digress!  BACK TO MY POINT!!!!!!! 
Let me ask you all a favor though, and it’s a biggie, particularly to my non-Muslim brothers and sisters:  These last few days, be kind and understanding to your Muslim counterparts.  Know that they are trying to achieve a far higher level of oneness with God than you can imagine be considerate to them.  If you see them struggle, encourage them, you don’t have to follow the religion to do it.  If you can also desist from tempting them (we all do it, it’s okay, nothing to be ashamed of) with other things (and you darn well know what those are), just…back off a bit till after the month is over (I realize I can say forever but that’s going a bit too far, and we are nothing if not human)?  Basically, don’t set them up for a fail because they had to go through 20 days of fasting and praying to get to these last 10 nights.  That ain’t no easy feat.  So if you want to gossip?  Go to someone else and unload.  If you want to backbite?  Hey I’m sure that other person would be thrilled to indulge.  If you feel the overwhelming urge to speak of, read or watch salacious materials and in turn want to share, then um…just sort of say to yourself, “later” (hopefully later will actually never come and you will forget and won’t therefore undo all the good that your friend is doing for him or herself in the first place…just sayin’).
Oh, everything I said in the paragraph above of course applies doubly to other Muslims.  Just because you may have reasons for not fasting or just do not observe it nor believe that it’s legitimate, keep your negativity to yourself.  Help along your brethren.  I’m sure there’s reward in that alone.
Yea, so here we go basically, last 10 day stretch and the hardest.  Don’t worry; I’ll still be blogging and keeping you apprised of the situation.  Let’s see how things proceed for me on a personal level.  I’ve already told you that I am not the best sort of Muslim in the world, not even slightly that good but I try my hardest and have the cleanest of intentions.  Hopefully I get credit for this?
This year, I have a lot to ask Allah (swt) for, including scads of forgiveness.  My insomnia will come in handy.  Wish me luck!
Ciao for now! : )  See y’all on Monday, unless I get unlazy or unbusy (yea right) and decide to bang out another post between now and then.  Highly unlikely so don’t get your hopes up. 
As I’ve said before Happy Ramadan-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment