Friday, July 25, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 25, Wednesday, July 23



I read the most ridiculous thing on FB yesterday, so preposterous that a part of my brain may have just died.  The fact that I don’t have that much grey matter betwixt the ears to start with creates a problem which makes me resent anyone who tries to dispose of the last bit that I possess.  I’m fiercely protective of that last teaspoon.

Anyhow, I’ve been pretty passionate about this whole Israel-Gaza conflict.  I also haven’t been precisely quiet about it.  Other than the two blogs I posted regarding the whole mess, I’ve been systematically trying to create awareness on FB.  For all the evils of social media, which there are many (i.e. inability to communicate live and in person, laziness, etc), it is also equally a strong tool to be reckoned with.

Truth be told, we no longer need to run to our senators and congressmen, parliament members or elected officials to have our voices heard.  We don’t even have to rally on the streets nor write angry letters that probably will never been seen.  Oh, that’s not to say that all these options aren’t actually good ones and haven’t been tried, tested and proven effective.  Now, however, you can sit behind a computer monitor or pull out a smartphone from just about anywhere and launch a campaign with a few well-chosen words and pics attached.  Before you know it, a cause has been born and folks who are 30,000 miles are suddenly joined together in solidarity (sometimes opposition). 

Like it or not, social media is here to stay and it’s a powerful tool.  There are of course good things and very bad aspects about it.  A lot of crap is easily circulated, half-truths, outright lies disguised as facts and the easy ruination of a life by a simple picture or video.  Then again, there is a wealth of information and for the most part the world has been brought together.  You can no longer really say you don’t have access to your neighbor across the pond, you do.  With a few keystrokes you’re instantly transported to another country, conversing with locals and learning about cultures that you would otherwise never have experienced without an airplane ticket or heavy musty tomes from the library.  Hell, isn’t that precisely what chat sites do?

Yes, the internet is astounding and clearly I’ve been taking full advantage of it either through blogging or Facebook, I believing in voicing one’s opinions whether or not anyone is listening.  And naturally I believe others have the right to do exactly the same.  That being said, in the situation which I mentioned up above, I think there are certain folks out there who should have their right to voice a belief revoked.  Why?  Because they have what I like to affectionately call ‘shit for brains’.  Their opinions are stupid, narrow-minded, full of ‘isms’ (like racism, sexism…) and based on absolutely crap such as sensational popular belief.  These are the folks that spread hate, ignorance, stupidity, douchbaggery, and worse of all, perpetrate it as reality.  Crazy enough, there are far too many gullible individuals out there who will not only believe, but will embrace their special brand of nonsense.

Maybe you’re wondering what’s going on?  What could have happened?  Maybe you’re even wondering if someone dared to disagree with one of my many random POV’s?  That’s why I’m saying this?  Nah.  It simply isn’t about disagreeing with me, you can do that.  I don’t get pissed off only because someone else thinks different from myself and has spoken up.  Truly Crickets, I’m totally down for a good debate, to listen to opposing views.  This is the best way to learn and if I can’t argue my point without intelligence or evidence, I stay quiet, listen, educate myself and then at a later date I speak. 

Until such a time, I stay quiet.  If there is no resolution or agreement to be had, I am more than willing to agree to disagree.  But there are a few things I will not do, not even if I vehemently disagree with the other person.  I will not use names, I will not belittle them, I will admit when I’m abjectly wrong and the one thing I definitely do not do?  Make sweeping generalizations of any group/organization/belief.  The only exception to this rule?  Terrorists.  The type that hijack a plane and fly it into a building full of innocents, the type who leaves a van full of dynamite outside a government agency and blows it to hell, the type who walks into a building full of children and proceeds to systematically shoot them one at a time without blinking, the type that bombs a city full of innocents…they are what they are, extremists, in every sense.  But even them, I do not reduce to a certain religion or region.  A terrorist can be defined in many ways and they are found in every part of the globe.

So what has me so ticked off so that I need to dedicate a whole blog to them?

A friend of mine posted a comment about the bombing and slow genocide of the Palestinian’s.  By her words she is staunchly opposed to what’s happening and moreover is able to recognize massacre for what it is.  She had facts backing up her status, and I “liked” it.  Then I proceeded to read the comments.  For the most part her friends were supportive, understood the situation for what it was and did not reduce it to a “Jew vs Muslim” conflict.  I was glad for this and yes, relieved.  Until that is…one of her ‘friends’ wrote and I quote, “There will never be peace with any Muslims alive”.

Can you say small nuclear explosion within the cranium?  Have you ever had that happen to you?  It’s uncomfortable.  Rage fills your vision, your heartbeat kicks up ridiculously so and you feel slightly dizzy and sick to the stomach.  The ability to think rationally flies out of your will house as you try to comprehend…just understand how in the world someone could write such…crap.

I sat motionless for many minutes trying hard to wrap my mind around what I was reading.  I even attempted to look at it from some other view but no dice, those words are clear, more or less, death to all Muslims, basically.  You think I’m being a bit dramatic?  Not really.

I had to breathe…a lot.  To calm myself down before responding and this was my response: “Never be peace with any Muslims alive?”  Really?  Who says that in this day and age?  I’m Muslim and damn proud and yet not a terrorist.  Go figure.  And crazy enough I do not support any sort of terrorism…period nor do my friends, family and I haven’t been hearing encouragement of it at my local mosque.  I suggest you take a moment to know a Muslim first, Sir, before making such broad and ludicrous sweeping generalizations of a religion 1.7 billion strong : ) you may be shocked at what you learns.  As for this whole thing?  It’s got nothing to do with Islam vs Judaism.  It’s about land and dominance and greed.  Don’t fool yourself to think otherwise.

I’m not going to talk about Gaza.  I’m far too heart sick to repeat and repeat and repeat and yet nothing.  Not a damn thing is being done to stop this by anyone that matters and can.  Yes, I’m looking at you US Gov.  But I will be patient and keep praying and hope that God intervenes somehow.  It’s time. 

What I will talk about is this ridiculous premise that if a whole religion is wiped clean, there will be peace.  Um, excuse me?  Is that still what popular sentiment seems to believe?  That Islam is full of terrorists and only terrorists therefore as long as they inhabit the earth, there will be no harmony?

Do you see why I may have been/and am ireful?  Would that not create a bit of angst within your being?

Good God people (this is aimed to those who think on the same level as the dude who wrote that comment), do yourselves a favor and pull your head out of your…um…rears.  If you believe that the world would be a better place without us Muslim’s, then you need a reality check or do what I suggest above, grab the nearest Muslim and ask her/him to explain to you what popular belief/sentiment/teaching is within the faith.  Trust me when I say, you will be surprised, pleasantly so, to learn how peace-loving and beautiful is not only the religion, but the people. 

Are you scoffing?  Are you laughing?  Do you think, ‘yeah right’?  Are you thinking to yourself, no other religion has ever had violence associated with it quite like Islam?  Are you maybe even saying, ‘definitely not mine!’  Think again, Sweetheart.  You would be dead wrong.  Still, I encourage that after you talk to the Muslim, how about you jump onto the internet and look up what the Crusades were all about or the Holocaust.  Through the ages there have been wars due to religion along with a breathtaking amount of slaughtering the innocent in the name of the same and subsequently one group or another have been demonized.  You think your religion is free and clear of ever having been labeled as a ‘terrorist organizations’ (although at that time this precise phrase had not been coined) at one point or another?  You would be wrong.

So, you want to wipe out 1.7 billion Muslim’s, eh?  Or maybe you wished that no Muslim’s ever existed, ever?  If that’s so, then let me list a few things that we violent crazed radicals gave to the modern world and if not for us you may have had to go without:

Coffee (stop drinking now!!!  Uh oh, a Muslim Shepard actually came up with it so spit it out!)

Algebra (although I would rather this one be skipped right over because I suckeddddddd at it, I’m sure others can appreciate it.  Still, regardless, how disturbing because a filthy Muslim dared to be brilliant and now it’s ruined!  Someone quickly go inform the PTA!)

Student grants (shocked?  Ah but yes, conceived by and created for the furthering education of qualified students that were learning in madrasa’s and by whom?  Oh, Muslims, check that out!  Look up Ijaza and you’ll see for yourself.  And once you realize I ain’t lying, give back that Pell Grant or student loan ASAP please, because you know, Muslim’s are gross.)

Marching Bands, military style (yeah, even that…weird.  Stop listening now though, plug up your ears because those disgusting violent Muslim’s came up with that too.)

Cameras (yup, and double yup.  Cameras.  Oh no, what will you do?  In a world obsessed with pictures what will you do now?  Go on, return those fancy Nikons and reject any phones that have one of them handy dandy built-in’s.  It’s time to bust out the paper and pencil and start a-sketchin’ because otherwise…you know what I’m gonna say…)

And to add to that already impressive list, the Muslim world also gave of itself these following innovations: Surgery, flying machine, music, toothbrush, the crank (crank-connecting rod system) and last but not least, hospitals.  (I stopped here with my research because it’s late and I’m giving into my naturally lazy impulses.)

Yeah, we are nothing but savages and we need to be wiped clean off the face of this earth, don’t we?  We have added nothing to the advancement of human life as we know it, have we?  We are all, regardless of where we live, what we do, what we say we believe or how we behave, at the end of the day nothing but terrorists and peace can NOT be achieved if we are alive.

I’ll tell you what, I can guarantee you that by even thinking such an atrocious thing about any group of people (due to their religion) doesn’t make that group the terrorist but rather the title should go to the person who is thinking it in the first place. 

Want peace?  Educate yourself, and then educate your neighbor.  Maybe then your neighbor will do the same and so no and so forth.  Before we know it, we will be far more well-informed humans occupying the same planet, possibly even be tolerant of each other.  Ignorance, as I have said before, isn’t always bliss, it is dangerous, as is apathy.  Put them together and you have a volatile mix that will annihilate everything in its path.

To this person, I wish I could meet him and sit him down and tell him about myself, my religion, my beliefs.  I do not know if this will help.  Some are willing to listen and learn while others would rather live within the walls of their own illiteracy.  That is fine, I suppose.  I cannot and will not force anyone to listen to what I have to say.  Even you, my dearest readers, have the option to stop reading me at any point.  But for those who want to know, I’m more than willing to educate and yes, even ask questions in return about your belief, what makes you tick, what makes you feel the way you do.

Anyhow…I’m tired.  My soul continues to be saddened by the madness about the world.  Today it’s Gaza, tomorrow will be…?  I hate to leave that as a fill in the blank kinda option but inevitably something like this will happen again and again we will take to sending emails, organizing rallies and protesting via social media.  But you know what?  I think that’s fantastic.  Even the common every day folk now has a voice, regardless.  Someone in one of the other posts commented that one voice hardly makes a difference.  Tell that to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Mahatma Gandhi or any of the myriads of leaders that inescapably proved that one voice can make a HUGE difference.

Stay blessed, my friends.  Hug your children tight, thank God (or whomever you wish to thank) for your safety and comfort, be appreciative for the life you have, and rejoice in the luxury in knowing when one of your loved ones goes out to get a pint of ice cream, that (InshAllah) they will return and not end up lying in a pool of blood somewhere due to a bomb having been dropped right on top of them and that most importantly, safe in the knowledge that you are not stopping peace from reigning upon the earth simply because of your chosen religion.  I can’t say that for myself since…well I’m a Muslim and it’s my entire fault.

Happy Ramadan-ing.

From a very sad, disheartened blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment