Monday, July 21, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 20, 21 and 22, July 18 thru July 20th



And another weekend has come and gone.  One more to go before the end of Ramadan, shocking!  And what’s more shocking then that?  That I was actually able to keep up this blog through it all.  I’m going to take a moment to compliment myself here and say ‘yay me’.  Okay, done.

Well, Friends, this weekend has been good and bad.  I’ve been able to reconnect with two people (something long overdue), I’ve been sick and the dizzy spells have yet to abate (yes, I’ll go to a doctor soon, promise promise) and I’ve been able to complete (for the most part) Eid shopping.  And above all that, I’ve been reading nonstop regarding the conflict happening over there in Gaza.

I think the most horrific aspect of this shitshow is the fact that little kids are the primary casualties.  The pictures now surfacing from the genocide is that of broken bodies of children, and as recently as yesterday, the charred remains of kids.  My head spins every single time I see a new imagine and the fact that no one, not one single government entity, has really condemned these actions makes me ill.  The other day I got into a pretty heated debate with P who said, why did Hamas have to start lobbing missiles over the fence in the first place?  Not an invalid question.  But then why are terrorists, terrorists?  Why do dumbass people do what dumbass people do?  This comes back to the old saying, “if a dog bites you, would you bite it?” no you’d whack it with a newspaper or worst case scenario put it the hell down, not blast the whole goddamn kennel into kingdom come.

P he went on to point out that since the citizens of Gaza elected Hamas into office, weren’t they ultimately to blame then?  (Side note: Now don’t misunderstand P, he likes to play devil’s advocate, and that’s precisely what he was doing here.  He’s actually quite fair and balanced (unlike FauxNews) so don’t go being outraged.  He asks the questions that most wouldn’t ask and is rather too PC to throw out there.  For this I appreciate him, although at times I want to straight up haul off and punch him.)

But back to the question at hand…Let me get political for a minute here.  This was my response:  Yes, so when we elected little Bush into office and he ended up thumbing his nose at the whole wide world including the UN and sending troops into Iraq thus turning the wheels of our financial and economic decline not to mention sending our boys and girls in blue over there to fight a war that wasn’t even valid, I guess we’re all to blame because 51% of the citizens of this country elected him, right?

He could say nothing.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: this isn’t religious war.  If someone tells me that, I’d laugh in their face.  This is a pissing contest that has no end in sight, a grudge match for greedy leaders (oh both sides) and the civilians are truly the sufferers.  Yet, Folks, let’s call a spade a spade.  This situation is so lopsided that it’s shocking.  One side has suffered so many casualties that its mindboggling while the other?  Well…I’m not trying to say that there should be anyone suffering period or dying for that matter but COME ON!

Let’s just reduce this to the most one-dimensional view point?  In essence this is basically a gang, a bunch of thugs (who can’t shut up to save their lives and goes around puffing out their blasted chests and throwing out stupid threats of destruction and damnation…Hi Hamas, I’m talking to you), who is going up against a well-stocked sophisticated military force (hellooooooo Israel, this one is for you), literally.  One has missiles that are being punted into the desert while the other has erudite weapons of destruction.  Don’t think this is a bit…cock-eyed?

P also asked me, well if someone is attacking your house, will you simply sit by and let it happen?  Another totally valid question and one I did not have to pause to answer.  I responded, no, I would defend myself against my attackers, not his neighbor’s child’s uncle’s postman and then everyone else who is within the vicinity.  So yea, there’s the answer to that question. 

But here’s an observation, which begs the question, why these crazy air raids and now ground invasion at all when there can be alternative methods.  We all are fully aware that the USA is nestled cozily in bed with Israel and to the extent that we can do nothing but say ‘well they have the right to defend themselves’ over all these atrocities and in defense or our allies.  So in such a copacetic relationship, there are definite advantages other than sharing ones favorite macaroni and cheese recipe.  I think it’s a fair assumption that in regards to security, the bigwigs probably whisper back and forth about technology and the like.  You’re telling me that the USA, the superpower that it is, cannot assist Israel to flush out specific locations of the offenders and go after them?  We’ve done it before, and many, many times and we haven’t had to resort to boots on the ground either.  You’re telling me that instead of sharing intelligence and tactics (giving suggestions basically), the better course of action is to go bombing everyone and their grandmothers because ‘they have the right to defend ourselves’?  WHAT???? 

Pardon me for saying this but:  WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE??????

When was it ever okay to do this?  When did this become the accepted norm?  What the fudgenuts is happening to this world that our politicians and government isn’t sitting back and saying, ‘oh wow this is f’ed up’??  My God in heaven.  You do not have to have a political nor religious affiliation in order to say that this just is not right and barbaric to the enth degree. 

Furthermore, I was perplexed when I found out that the residents of Gaza have 3 minutes before shelling begins.  Did you know that?  3 minutes.  That’s how long the Israeli army gives them.  To take your whole life and reduce it down to 3 minutes.  Think about this.  Just stop and take a second.  REALLY mull this over.  Um…so let me ask you, if you have 3 minutes before a bomb is dropped on your home, what would you do?  What would you grab?  What would you take with you?  Look at where you’re sitting and try to figure that out.  Can you take your existence and boil it down to whatever you can grab and then get far enough away so that you’re not blow to nothing more than unrecognizable pieces of limbs and flesh?  Because 3 minutes doesn’t take into account the lead-up to the bombing, it is 3 minutes total.  So do you look at your watch, run around like a maniac picking up what you can for 1.5 minutes and then run for your life for 1.5 minutes? 

These kinds of questions keep me awake at night.  I look around my own home, think of all the things that I cherish: a sari that was given to me when my grandmother passed, the scads of albums representing a cherished childhood and past, important documentation that I probably couldn’t move forward without, this trinket I picked up here, that letter that was given to me on my birthday by my poet uncle who is now gone, that dress that was given to me there…what would I grab?  Can a person’s life be reduced to a couple of minutes and if you think ‘sure’ then you are far more understanding then I.  To me, it’s not fathomable. 

Then there’s dealing with the aftermath.  Returning ‘home’ only to find it now rubble in which one needs to weed through finding bits and pieces of your life.  For those who can’t see the big deal because either you never gave it any thought or this just doesn’t affect you, again I ask you to look around yourself.  If you’re not home presently when you do get back, then stop and glance about and try to imagine your sanctuary reduced to nothing but debris.  Charred and unrecognizable, undistinguishable from what you once considered home.  Do you flinch?  Do you turn your mind to more pleasant things because you frankly can’t comprehend this?  But that’s what those Palestinian’s are doing, isn’t it?

But it doesn’t end there, because after all home is where the heart is, correct?  So what happens when your very soul is ripped from your chest?  When your baby, your 2, 3, 4, etc…year old child has been killed?  How do you bury that child?  How do you wrap that little body that you’ve cared and loved for in white cloth and cover it with dirt?  HOW?  And who do you blame for this?  Do you blame: yourself because you elected a terrorist organization into power?  (But then I could argue that we, the citizens of the USA did the same thing as well although maybe that’s not how we look at it but hey, ask the Iraqi’s.)  Or do you blame your neighbor who may be the one who is in fact launching those missiles?  Or do you blame that child for even having the nerves of playing outside, going to school, riding his/her bike?

Who do we blame for this?  And how, in the name of all that’s holy, do we not speak up?  I don’t want to sound redundant, to speak the words I spoke just a few days ago yet I feel as if I need to reiterate, I don’t care if you’re a Jew or a Muslim.  I don’t give a damn which political party you’re associated with or which landmass you occupy, none of these things matter an ounce to me.  You want to tell me that in 19blahblahblah this happened and then in 2009 blahblahblah happened then go ahead, I’m not listening.  All I can see anymore is the bodies of bleeding dead children littered all over media, unfortunately not the mainstream one either.  Shame on you CNN, BBC and every other organization out there.  Shame on every single reporter on television who downplays how bad this all is and most of all shame on each and every government which sits by repeating like parrots, ‘they have the right to defend themselves’. 

While I agree that anyone has the right to defend their lives, I do not agree with genocide, PERIOD, regardless of the geographic location or people.  I think about my little nephews and nieces strewn around the globe and horrifically enough I see their faces in the children that are lifeless on the streets of Gaza.  I can’t help it.  In every single picture that I have looked upon thus far, I’ve seen the images of my friends kids, the neighbors cherubs, the one that toddles by on the street…these are the faces which I see in those dead lifeless eyes and a rage sweeps through me.  How can this be happening?  Children are children damnit, wake up!

Close your eyes and ignore it if you wish, take sides if you like, I cannot and one day my God will ask me, why didn’t you speak up?  Why didn’t you demand some sort of relief?  Why didn’t you cry out against your fellow human beings suffering?  At least I can say I did something, even if it’s in the form of a stupid blog.  I spoke up and said something.  But can you?

You want to make it about politics or religion?  Well, Buttercup, you do you.  Go ahead.  If you think that the 3 year old who was blown to smithereens outside while simply deserved what he or she got, then I don’t know what to say to you.  You’ll have to answer to whatever it is that you answer to, if you do at all.  I, on the other hand, cannot sleep at night.

This blog wasn’t supposed to be another rant.  It was supposed to be a simple telling of what’s happened in the last 3 days in my life.  Well you know what?  I’ve done a lot of normal everyday things that most of you have done, I imagine.  I’ve spent time with friends/family, I’ve gone out shopping, I’ve lazed around at house watching TV, I’ve enjoyed this weather, I’ve talked on the phone, I’ve texted with buddies, I’ve listened to the rain, I’ve contemplated what I will eat for dinner but I have also breathed in air that isn’t flavored with the smells of mortar shells, I haven’t cringed in fear for my life, I haven’t stepped over corpses of neighbors and loved ones, nor have I had to grab my shit in 3 minutes and run for it.  Lucky me.

So yea, my weekend was terrific, how was yours?

I’m going to say this although it doesn’t seem to be sticking with the theme of the blog above, still it is Ramadan…so…Happy Ramadan-ing (and God save us from ourselves…please).

(Another side note:  I’m posting a picture here that pains me.  I have been a staunch supporter of my president but of late he has managed to disappoint me over and over again.  I saw this and thought, ‘hmmm…yea’ and am sharing.  Believe me, this is the greatest disillusionment I’ve faced, that the president I loved, has so gone astray that I can no longer defend his actions or words.  I can only hope that he will renew my belief in him by saying/doing the right thing, to raise his voice and condemn these violent attacks and the genocide.  I pray that God will guide him so that I once more feel like I did the right thing when I cast my ballot for him.  I love my country but I can't say that I always love my president nor those that run the government.  Such a shame.  If you think this is anti-American propaganda, then you're a moron...sorry to be so blunt.  I am an American and damn proud to be one and as I've said before, if I can love my country, I can criticize it as well.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment