Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 11 – Wednesday, July 9

Oh sweet lord, I was so late getting to work.  My eyes refused to open although my brain was screeching “GET UP, GET UP, GET UP, YOU DORK, GET UP!!!!” but to no avail.

Now that I’m at work, I wonder why I was in such a panic in the first place.  I don’t exactly have to strictly adhere to a schedule, more or less I have the convenience of coming in and leaving when I wish as long as I’ve worked an 8 hour day and my supervisor knows what’s going on.  As far as he’s concerned though, we should be able to work remote anytime we want.  I do so like that man.

Anyhoo…moving along, as you can see, it’s been 11 days.  Muslims around the world have been going without something terribly basic for quite some time now and it’s not even half over.  Just imagine that for a second.  There’s many starvations to be had yet, Folks, many.

As you may have noted, I’ve been trying hard to be introspective during this most holiest of months.  It’s not always that easy but for the most part I believe I’ve succeeded to some degree.  I’ve struggled with putting aside my own inner demons, calming down, being less reactionary and more importantly recognizing all the benefits of fasting.  Sometimes it’s not easy to identify any of these things beyond the weakness of the body but that’s the point, right?  That’s what we’re supposed to do.  We’re supposed to ignore the demands of the flesh and feed the spirit instead with prayer and focus.  (Whoa, check out how profound that last sentence was!  Who knew I had that sort of depth within my soul?!?!  Mhmm, maybe I’m evolving, although I doubt it.)

So I’m on a mission to continuously feed my spirit.  I confess, it’s like the most difficult thing in the world to find something meaningful every single day.  Sometimes there is nothing to talk about.  It’s just a normal day and in 5 years, I won’t be able to distinguish it from another.  Sad but true.  Where we should be striving to find complexity in every minute of our existence, instead we go along blissfully on autopilot.  Then again, maybe we’re not predestined to discover meaning nor attach it to every second we exist?  The very idea is exhausting.  Heck, if we’re lucky enough to be able to do so once every 10 years, we’d be fortunate.

No, no, I shan’t be negative.  I shall remain positive.

But I wasn’t joking when I said that finding something to talk about; something that has impacted me on a daily basis isn’t all that simple.  Besides the normal distractions of life, there’s the pesky fact that since food is fuel for the brain and that’s the one thing I don’t have presently, making it work also isn’t a snap.  I’d beat it but reaching into the skull I don’t believe is an option. 

Sooooooooooo, I’ve decided to cheat.  Don’t gasp in shock, read me out first.  Instead of finding something specific, I’m going to talk about a memory.  Here we go:

The first day of this year’s fast fell on a Sunday and unless it’s a busy workday, I like to take that opportunity to open it with my family, and I mean my whole family, particularly eating the food that is closest to my heart, my mother’s.  And as I had anticipated, Ammu called to tell me that everyone was coming over.  I got there early and felt a sense of peace steal over me as I worked with her side by side in the kitchen.  That day in particular hunger didn’t once bother me because the contentment at being home again, my childhood home, with the two people that probably loved me the most in the universe, was enough.

As fast breaking approached, the rest of the family started to arrive.  My mother suggested that we lay out plates pre-filled with the Iftar food so that everyone could just grab one and not have to go through a stampede.  My cousin P assisted as we carefully doled out the goodies, equally splitting everything by 30.  This is what the end result looked like:


My mom’s youngest sister (Khala) and my mom’s youngest brothers wife (Mami) both came in, saw the plates arranged just so and began to reminisce of Bangladesh.  My mother joined us as well, taking a minute to stand still, and added to the memories with her own.  We all began to smile and I believe every one of us was pulled back several years into the past.

Keeping in mind that my childhood had been here in the USA, including all the most important formative years, going back to Bangladesh was a trip that was centered on summer vacations and the main purpose was my mother not wanting us to lose touch with our culture, family.  She did a fantastic job of it, too.  To this day my family in Bdesh is as important to me as those that are here and every bit as active.  Thanks to FB, even more so.  But still, spending 2-3 months every 3 years hardly added up to an abundance of time.  I missed out on more moments than I can probably fathom but for sure, I also managed to create loads of memories that to this day stay close to my heart.

The particular memory that I had then, standing amongst the women of my family, wasn’t a singular one but rather flashes:

*Nani (maternal grandmother) out in the courtyard in her starched white cotton sari picking through a basket of pineapples, or leeches while the toothless hawker sat on his haunches beside her smiling gummily and fanning himself from the heat.  Nani, carrying on a string of conversation with him about the prices of fruit or the freshness of the bounty before her.  She was very quick witted and sarcastic woman who was bold as brass but with a heart that loved to infinity.

*Nana (maternal grandfather) returning slowly from the market with something special in his hand, looking fatigued but smiling also.  The servant boy scurrying quickly to him to relieve him of his burden, while Nana would make a straight line for the bathroom in order to wash the dirt off his feet and chapel (sandals).  On his way, he would pause long enough to straighten a sofa cushion.

*M Mama (mother’s brother) would stride in managing to look freshly pressed in his kurta and matching lungi even though he had been out all day long, holding a clay pot of the best haleem in the world in his hand, seemingly satisfied.  He flashes me a smile and says to me after laying a hand on my head, “just wait till you taste this, you will never forget it.”  I believe him.  He’s rarely wrong.

*R Mama (my mother’s immediately eldest brother) also comes in eventually from being at work and in his hand there was a packet also, this time of ripe mangoes that one could smell from yards away.  He hands the packet to his wife, who takes a whiff.  M Mama asks me if I was okay, had I fainted, and then informed me with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes what he had eaten for lunch.  His wife yells at him to stop committing a sin but he simply winks at me and walks away, but I know he’s teasing.

*S Mama (the 2nd eldest brother), who was a musician by profession, emerges from his room asking what he could do to help.  He felt guilty that he has been locked away giving classes all day long.  His wife tells him things are under control but he disappears anyhow only to return shortly thereafter with a brown paper bag filled with something that smelled amazing and was oozing grease.  He hands that off to his wife who yammers on a mile a minute about how it wasn’t necessary, that there was so much food already but soon she retreats to the kitchen. 

*My Khala’s are all in or near the vicinity of the rannar ghor (Bangla for kitchen) working in time with the servants and themselves in beautiful unity, the smells of Iftar being prepared wafting in delicious waves through the house.  They fluttered around in their colorful saris, anchal pulled over their head to cover their hair in respect, unbelievably active considering the oppressive heat and fasting and their laughter is like music to the ears and soothing to the soul.

*The female cousins, young and old, are in the dining room laying out the plates, filling them with food as they came from the kitchen piping hot.  The conversation is upbeat because the time to break fast is close at hand.  One person is in charge of making the sharbath and does so meticulously, filling enough glasses for each person.  Periodically they step back in union to admire the bounty, calculate what else is needed and then continue to work tirelessly.

*The male cousins are laying about somewhere staying cool under the fan or washing up or maybe discussing how much they will eat.  Their role in the daily ritual preparation of the Iftar is minimal with only an errand to run here and there on occasion.  They do however on occasion make an appearance into the kitchen or dining room to check out the activity, then retreat back to the safety of the bedroom after being scowled at.

*My mother is also in the kitchen leaned over a bubbling vat of oil frying eggplant fritters.  She’s sweaty but happy because she is surrounded by her loved ones, in her element, secure in her world.  She complains about the heat but regardless there is a glow about her that bespeaks her happiness.

*There is weak laughter everywhere; the world seems energized, inside and out. 

*All around us, in the streets, in every home, the preparations are on full force.  The smells are drool-inducing.

*And just at the right instant, everyone gathers and waits breathlessly for the first strains of the Azan (call to prayer).  First it starts at the local mosque, and then soon is echoed by the others.  It’s haunting and beautiful, calming and revitalizing all at the same time.  It is the sound of the beauty of our religion.  It is the calling one to prayer, the most beautiful melody you will hear.  Listen for yourself:

 

These are the visions that are going through my head in a flash.  All these things didn’t happen in one day, not one particular evening.  Rather these are apparitions from Iftars over the years.  The fact that I was blessed enough to not only have them but retain them and hold them close, is what brings me comfort.  Many of these people who I mentioned are no longer with us, and they are missed, every single day.  And it seems appropriate to remember them now.

Here’s a fact you may not know, but during the month of Ramadan, the spirits of our departed are freed, released to visit their loved ones.  We, the living, are to pray for them, remember them, ask Allah (swt) to bless them with Jannat (heaven) and forgive them for all their sins, and when the first strains of the Azan is heard on Eid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Fitr) morning, the souls retreat and once again leave us.  It is said that they cry when they hear the Azan.

Anyhow, so that first Sunday, as I stood with the others looking at our handiwork, I became misty eyed, heart tightening a smidge and thanked Allah (swt) quietly for having blessed me with those memories from so long ago.  It is a blessing to be able to pull them out, relive them for a moment and then tuck them back into my mind to bring out once again later.

I do admit, I love sharing these stories with my readers.  I don’t know how much you enjoy reading them but I hope to some extent you can experience some of what I did/do.  Will it change your life?  No.  Will you feel more enlightened?  I hope not.  But maybe my recollections of happy times will prompt you to recall some of your own memories and possibly even write them down?  Or if you’re not a writer, the best thing that can come of it is that you hold your own memories closer?
Side note:  Someone I love very much is going through a very difficult time, someone very close to me.  Please pray for them, if you pray, and if you don't, can you send out good vibes to the universe?  Thank you! :)

Have a good day, where ever in the world you are and once again, Happy Ramadaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment