Thursday, July 3, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 4 - Wednesday, July 2



I could sum up this day in one word:  exhausting.

Once again hunger and thirst seemed to be at bay but had I any energy level, like those you see on a video games next to me, it would be in the red and all the way at the bottom. 

Granted I shouldn’t really complain since Allah (swt) has blessed me (Alhamdulillah) with a job where I stay indoors as well as in perpetual air conditioning so I haven’t had to deal with the oppressive heat.  There’s that.  However one doesn’t truly realize the importance of food for proper brain functionality until one need to use one’s noggin.  Today, I needed brain power, for sure.

As luck would have it (note that there’s a lot of sarcasm in the word “luck”), for the last few weeks one of my cases have blown up.  Think nuclear explosion big.  Now because I like the folks I’m working with at the law firm (which is rare indeed) I don’t mind the midnight requests for this or that, or the questions that have been aimed at me at all times of the day and night, weekends included, nor even the impromptu phone calls being made on my personal cell phone (really…seriously…no I don’t mind…not really).  I’ve taken it all in stride.  But since last Friday, when I thought things were going to wind down a bit, I realized how foolish I was.

What’s beyond a nuclear explosion?  I’m not sure but that’s what happened.  May be multiple explosions?  Nonetheless, super star colleagues from all departments jumped into the fray to help but all these prior weeks were obviously leading up to yesterday, a super peachy ‘thpethal’ one.  Between fielding internal and external calls, jumping onto conference calls with the client, receiving and responding to emails that required research (and answers), meetings after endless meetings, readjusting work flows and more meetings (there may have been a carrier pigeon involved as well, I can’t quite remember since it’s such a blur) my brain was on overload.  Plus I was sleep deprived.  And then I was fasting.  And…well I’m sure there are a few more “and’s” but I’m far too humble to type them out because now I’m just looking all ‘woe is me’. 

If there was any day in which I could have used fuel for the brain, it was this day.  This day in which my brain was beating me with a club demanding to be fed and I steadily ignored it.  Then about 1pm, as I sat in a strategic meeting with my boss and 2 other colleagues, I was asked a question to which I responded with a few empty blinks of eyelids.  My boss, who had been talking to me, stopped and gave me a quirk of his eyebrow.   I looked back, my eyes glassy.  And this prompted him to say “um yea, you okay?”

I wanted to snap back, “obviously not” but since I genuinely like him and had no interest in being rude (see, I’m learning patience) I instead literally dropped my head into my folded arms on the table and shook my noddle (subsequently going woozy from that action alone).  Then I looked up from that position and the voice that came out of me was breathless and whiny (ugh, so whiny, how he didn’t fire me on the spot is a mystery)…”Kevinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn….I wanna go homeeeeeeee….”

Now, this is just how cool my boss is and precisely why I j’adore him.  He sighs heavy, gives me a straight forward non-judgmental look, shrugs his shoulder and said ‘go home, whenever you want, you’re a professional.’

I would have whooped with joy had I energy to do so but since I didn’t I mustered up a weak smile and nodded my head (carefully).  I still didn’t end up leaving until nearly 5.  Meh.

Anyhow, so one of the biggest pitfalls of fasting?  Going to the grocery store.  Seems so simple, right?  You would be wrong.  Long ago I learned that this was a bad idea when I was still single and living at home.  My mother and I would go to the Giant and end up coming home with the most ridiculous items such as Stove Top Stuffing mix, instant make-it-at-home pizza kits and a plethora of desserts out of the yingyang.  Whatever either of us wanted, we would buy. Conversely right after breaking fast we would stare at the random foods wondering  not only what the heck it was that we thought we were doing (at that time it was all quite brilliant purchases) but when we figured we would consume said crap and then promised that we would never go to the grocery store hungry again.  Well that’s not an undertaking one can easily keep over the course of a month, fasting or no fasting, unless you’re hoarders.

With every intention of picking up some grocery from the local Bangladeshi store (yea, I decided on this with a whole heaping load of trepidation), I aimed my headache-free car in that direction and somehow found myself, instead, at the Bangladeshi restaurant adjacent to it.  Let’s not talk about what I purchased.  It’s embarrassing but I did eat well.  For me, that’s a big deal, particularly during Ramadan when after the first sip of water and euphoric bite of a date, I lose my appetite straightaway.

You’re thinking, what’s the lesson I learned today?  There isn’t one to be honest.  I mean I can’t re-promise that I won’t grocery shop during the month, I will, I guarantee it and to be honest being less of a glutton isn’t really a legit promise either, since no one could say I am one (although you wouldn’t think so by simply looking at me…moo).  But hey, I did display some sense of serenity throughout an extremely hectic trying day while internally I was screaming. 

Hopefully I’ll have a lesson to find tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment