Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ramadan 2014 Day 9 – Monday, July 7


 

Ughhh, what a wretched night!  I barely slept a wink and when I say that, that’s precisely what I mean. I went to bed at about 2, intending to say my intentions and getting some well-deserved shut eye.  What happened instead was a long, long night staring at the ceiling, then at the drapes, then at the mattress, then at the bathroom door, then again at the ceiling.  Yes, when insomnia hits me this hard, I try to find a position that will help knock me out.  Short of a bat to the head, it ain’t happenin’.  I don’t know why I even bother. 

Yea, a miserable night of nothing but tossing and turning and cursing the fates finally did me in and I believe the last time I saw on my clock was 5am.  The fact that the alarm was screaming for me to wake my butt up by 7am didn’t put me in the greatest frame of mind.  The only redeemable factor?  Traffic was light all the way in.  Better yet, I did not come across anyone carrying a cup of coffee that could possibly tempt me from stealing it and running away.  I’m pretty sure Ramadan doesn’t encourage theft.

Work has been fine.  I’ve made a concentrated effort to keep my head down and focus on getting done as much as possible before leaving.  It helps the time go by faster.  That’s a lie.  NOTHING helps the time go by.  For this month, I usually come in a smidge early, ‘work’ through lunch and go home by 5pm.  Seems like a great plan, right?  No, it blows chunks.

Depending on the traffic if I leave at that time, I can get home anywhere between 5:30 to 6 and then I have anywhere between 2.5 to 3 hours before Iftar.  I supposed it’s not that long in the grand scheme of things but tell that to the dizzy spells that will do me over but good when I get up too fast from any sitting position.  No amount of praying and Ibadah really makes the time go quicker so you’re stuck waiting patiently, maybe watching a movie or something.  The funny thing is, no matter how exhausted I am and no matter how I’ve dreamt all day of crawling into bed to take a catnap, it never ever happens.  Inevitably I’m watching some stupid show that isn’t really interesting but napping seems far too indulgent to me.  I’m not a napper.

Many hours later…

Well, I proved myself to be a liar.  I got home and passed the hell out.  It was fitful and by the time I woke up, I was shaking like a leaf.  This happens to me a lot.  After breaking fast and drinking some sharbat (juice) I decided to zone on the sofa while figuring out what lesson I learned/wanted to learn.  I didn’t think there was one, after all thinking itself becomes difficult, but it came to me on FB, the lesson, not the thinking but then again, possibly the thinking also.

I was scrolling listlessly through posts, unable to actually muster up the strength to write anything deep and meaningful of my own volition.  And there it was.  A friend of mine who had posted a picture of her knocked out sleeping daughter.  Under the picture was the following caption:

At least we know my child will get food. Unfortunately can't say that about thousands of children over the world. All praise and thanks to Allah for everything we have. BTW...she is fasting by her own choice. No forcing going on up in this joint.. she looks forward to waking up and eating with us and observing this month. Maybe I'm doing something right or blessed. Combo of both?

This is comment overload at its best!

First, let’s tackle the whole ‘hunger’ issue.  Once again it takes these quiet moments for most of us to realize how lucky we are, and how blessed.  These realizations don’t come with a big bang and whomp but more a small little sigh.  I love these rare moments when I can acknowledge God’s gifts.  Some never quite do though, I’ve noticed, insisting upon moving through life in endless bitterness focusing on what they do not have.   These people radiate negativity in all senses.  Mind you I can be terribly negative myself but it’s different.  More or less my pessimism is centered on how stupid I think humans can be. 

My friend here though, who wrote the post above who I call “H”, I admire because clearly she ‘gets’ it.  She is able to see the bigger picture here and in fact embodies (to me) what Ramadan is trying to teach us (one of several in fact but let’s focus on this alone).  What’s that lesson?  Well:  hunger.  Sounds simple, right?  What we’re asked to do by Allah (swt) during this month is to endure what others less privileged than ourselves deal with on a daily basis, gut wrenching, stomach grumbling, limb weakening hunger that will not go away no matter how you wish otherwise, no matter what time of the day it is.  I know I sound extreme but it is.  And I personally believe that the end product is the ability to thank the Almighty for what we have been given and basically not take anything for granted. 

The truth is that at the end of our fast we can sit around a big table with loved ones and eat whatever we wish in air conditioning while the hungry will still remain…hungry.  Get it?  See the point?  It’s all about learning empathy, compassion, understanding your fellow man’s strife’s.  You can’t do that by watching a commercial on the television with sad pictures of starving kids and sappy music playing in the background (sorry Sarah McLachlan) because as soon as the show you want to watch is back on, you forget.  We humans are fantastically adept at totally taking for granted our blessings.  We (those of us who are able) ignore how ginormous it is that we have the ability to be able to grab that bag of chips out of the stocked pantry or that cake we pick up at that amazing bakery down the street which costs an arm and a leg but is so super delicious that you can’t live without it.  We are by nature ungrateful.  If it takes Ramadan to bring to light the reality of starvation to the foreground, then so be it.  Well done. 

Oh and don’t fool yourself for a minute in thinking that once we break our fast we ignore the poor and hungry.  Nope.  We are required to give Zakat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakat) every one of us who are financially able.  This isn’t a donation to the local mosque, the Imam or purchasing more prayer mats.  No, it’s straight up charity to the poor.  And what happens if you miss a fast because you have no other recourse?  Well you can either make up that fast later or…go ahead and donate more…feed one person for a whole day.  So you see one of the biggest foundations of Islam is in fact charity.

So moving on, Second (sorry it took me so long to get to this point), H mentions that her children have been given the option to fast.  As she so eloquently states,“No forcing going on up in this joint”.  You don’t know how much I adore this one singular line.  It speaks well of the new generation of Muslim parents.  These are individuals who (again this is my belief and doesn’t have to reflect anyone else’s) have very much embraced the Deen, also spelled Din (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C4%ABn), are educated and wish to pass it along to the next generation of sophisticated Muslims. 

I have long ago accepted that the generation prior to mine, and the one even before that, was taught with fear being the basic text book.  To them everything about the practice of Islam was difficult.  Suffering seemed to be the main theme.  If you didn’t break your back or sacrifice, then you weren’t doing it right and in turn, God wasn’t listening. 

But as I grew up, became more educated, as scholars emerged from schools that taught and studied intensely ONLY Islam, and as the internet started to take hold on being the hub of an outside source of learning, we were now being told that our religion, in fact, isn’t all that difficult.  Relax.  Allah (swt) has built in so many “chill out” rules throughout the Quran that it’s almost impossible not to practice.  You can practically fall into it with a bit of discipline and straightening of priorities. 

Here’s what I think:  If you fail to represent your religion as one that seamlessly fits into life, then the next generation will not be able to embrace it.  Maybe if you are living in a predominantly Muslim country this isn’t difficult, it’s a part of your every day, but for those of us who step out of the house and are greeted by hundreds of different skin colors, religions, ideologies, sexual orientations and cultures, guess what?  It’s not easy.  And yes, we are a part of our environment/society, like it or not.  You can’t expect a child who grows up in one country not assimilate simply because their parents did not or will not. 

H (and her husband) clearly must be doing something right if their child is getting up by her own will before daylight to sit with her family to eat the meal as well as go through a day where normally, being a young kid of a very tender age, she would probably be running around enjoying her summer vacation, eating ice cream, drinking lemonade or having picnics outside in the sun.  Instead this child looks forward to the time she has with her parents and siblings and even passes out on the sofa when she is too tired while still murmuring dua’s under her breath.  How amazing is that?  Bravo, truly bravo.  Whether you (H and your hubby) understand this so or not, you are on the right path.  I’m not an expert in anything, heck I’m not even a parent, just a third party very far removed observer but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate what is in front of me and commend you. 

For the record, my friend H is but one example of the cool new age families I’ve been spotting (stalking) on FB (and no, not in a weird way, sheesh). These are young families in their late 20’s early 30’s and yes some even in their 40’s who I’ve known since they were but children themselves.  They are the parents now.  And how freakin’ fantastic are they!  These are the same parents who post pics of their kids on the prayer mat, but also with them sporting cool Halloween costumes.  These parents are seen with their kids at the mosque as well as on a beach in Hawaii or in Europe somewhere.  These parents will purchase gowns for their children (very appropriate but pretty ones) and encourage them to go to school functions while still instilling within their offspring the beauty of their religion.  These are parents who write about how proud they are of their child as well as how frustrating parenthood can be.  These families, to me, represent the true hip contemporary Muslim family.  And good lord, it’s refreshing.

Lastly, H says that maybe she’s doing something right or blessed?  I don’t know about anyone else and since indeed I am no professional, I can’t speak to that but I do agree, it’s both.  I reached out to her to ask her permission to use her post as inspiration for my blog.  I am very careful with making sure that I do not offend or step on anyone’s toes when taking something from someone else to write about, so this was important.  In the breadth of our conversation and sort of catching up, she told me that she’s ‘only trying to do her best’.  I did not feel for an instant that she was being falsely humble.  This woman is straight up humble, particularly when it comes to her parenting.  Clearly she feels like there’s room for improvement and it’s ongoing, this bringing up her daughters the right way.  I loved that she told me that she’s still terribly inappropriate.  I love this because her children will grow up knowing that it’s okay to be human. 

So, to end this blog (yay?), did I learn anything?  I don’t know if I was supposed to.  Sometimes it’s just about writing down what I see, what I hear, what I read.  It’s to take all that, process it and spit it back out.  Sometimes it is a way of simply giving a quiet nod to someone (people) who deserves it.  Indeed my words may be meaningless, all these opinions I have, all the yammering I do, it probably doesn’t even add up to a hill of beans.  But…well…it doesn’t always have to be, right? (Was that not the most horrible ending to a blog, or what?)

Anyhow, have a good one folks, no matter what you’re doing or where in the world you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment