Monday, March 31, 2014

Spring, WH and Petty Vengence


Hark Spring, is that thou? 

Today as I got ready for work, I was glum.  May be this had to do with the fact that yesterday it snowed.  Not just snowed, but throw into that mix sleet and rain and you’ve got a party…but not really.  By the time I got home from Baltimore, I was frozen solid, my car would have had a thin layer of ice had I not been speeding (responsibly) and had I planted vegetation in my non-existent garden, they would have bit the big one.  Facebook went nuts with status updates regarding the weird weather event and when you wrap your mind around the fact that it’s the end of March, nearly the beginning of April, well one can’t possibly have a bounce in their step.

Like Sunday, I had checked the weather app to see what was to happen but unlike Sunday, where I felt reassured by what the screen was saying to me, today I was just negativity personified.  I was not about to be caught unawares hence I left with two jackets, an  umbrella, my hair tied back and a perma-scowl on my face.  I even pulled on boots.  I love my boots, anyone who has seen me in person knows this.  I can’t wait for fall when I can start to pull them out of the closet and prance around but even my boot-loving self looks forward to spring when my toes are more able to breath (after getting a pedicure of course).  I’ve been long since ready to put this particular foot gear away to be replaced by adorable wedged heels or cute strappy sandals.  This is not too much to ask for.

For the beginning part of the morning, the weather went right along with my mood.  It was sunny yes, but a cold wind blew from…wherever.  I glared at the sky a few times while muttering a few choice words under my breath.  This may have garnered some interesting looks from others but my ability to ignore humanity sometimes comes in handy.  However by lunch time, I must say the wind, although still blowing, has warmed up.  Now it’s tolerable to stand outside without a jacket.  Yes, I believe spring is in the air and any resident of this fair city can almost smell the Cherry Blossoms in the air.

I don’t know if I ever told you folks, long ago, I used to work in the same spot here in GT that I work at now.  From 2000 – 2003 my butt used to schlep down to Washington Harbor every day.  Back then I didn’t have the ability to pay for parking so it was public transport all the way.  Let me tell you what an ordeal that was.  First I’d catch the metro to one stop, change to another train, disembark and then make it to the shuttle that would take 20 minutes (if we were lucky) to get down to the waterfront.  Now couple that with nasty weather and you truly have good times on your hands.  Oh and let’s not forget the most important ingredient.  I hated where I worked. 

When I say ‘hate’, I mean hate (and I don’t often use this word in reference to anything for it is far too strong an emotion).  That place (which I shall not name) was straight from the pit of hell and those folks who worked there (save a few good friends who I am still in touch with till today) were minions of the devil.  The elitist snobbish wankers who ran and worked in that establishment thought they were truly the shiznit.  Heck, I thought they were too but I didn’t know better since I was a young paralegal.  It wasn’t till after I left that I realized how ‘small fish’ they were in the otherwise large pond of law firms. 

That experience so soured me to the location that for nearly 10+ years after leaving, I wouldn’t venture this way even for social reasons.  It was like every bad memory of those 3 years jumped out to greet me whenever I hazarded anywhere close.  Yuck.  In fact, when I found out this was where my interview for my present job was to be, I nearly refused.  Friends and family convinced me not to let my dislike for the area, or rather the memories of my past, to prejudice new experiences.   I’m glad I’m not so stubborn that I wouldn’t have listened.  I have once again found a renewed love for this spot.

What I do not love, and this was brought to my attention the last beautiful day we had (which was when, I can’t actually recall), is the fact that every fool in D.C. decides to rush here to enjoy the water.  As if there is no other darn place in this huge city to go and enjoy *frowns and scowls*.  There are bars here that are basically on the dock and these bars are stupid crowded as soon as the temperature even touches on 60+F.  This doesn’t seem like a big deal, right?  Well it is when you work down here, have to deal with their nonsense and the extra traffic when all you’re trying to do is live and worse of all at the end of the evening take your tired exhausted self, home.   I hated it back then and this one thing hasn’t change, even now.  This is also just the beginning of the warm months which means I’ll be in a fairly pissy mood every night from here on out till it gets cold again.

Great, as if I need more reasons to be negative.

Before I sign off, let me share this funny story (actually it was hilarious to me, may be not to the other person(s) involved):

12 years ago(ish), on a warm Friday night after having worked till about 10pm, I gathered my belongings and with a final sigh, left the building.  I stepped out into the courtyard of WH only to be met by scads of folks walking about lazily, heading for the bars, eating slices of pizza, laughing, lounging, generally enjoying the evening that was to herald in the weekend.  They all seemed quite happy.  I was not.  I was in fact in a foul mood after having worked overtime every single day leading up to that night.  The only consolation was that since I had known I would be working late, I had driven in.  At that time, the big park that now stands next to the harbor actually used to be a rat-infested skeezy parking lot.  The thing went practically to the boathouse that was (is) located all the way under the Key Bridge.  I would avoid at all costs to park in that area, even if it meant getting in early, since I had heard there was a lotta shady goings-on in the darkness.

That night there was a stream of cars heading into the already chock-full lot.  I saw the line of taillights as I approached from a distance, sighing resignedly.  Getting out would not be pretty, that much I knew from experience.  Weaving through the cars, I headed for my truck that was near the middle of the lot, which was not close since the parking area was so vast.  I had a laptop case slung over one shoulder, a purse on the other while clutching a bag in my hand.  Honestly, I looked like a zombie.

As I trudged along with the weight of those things practically dragging me to the ground, I rather felt than saw the car that trailed after me.  It was a bunch of people stalking me for my space.  I knew this, it had happened before also.  And whereas I would normally be congenial and indicate to them where I was, even rush to my vehicle to jump in and zoom away so they could get themselves situated, that night, I was sooooooooo not in the mood. So what did I do? 

Instead of heading directly for my car, which was approximately 10 vehicles directly in front of me, I started to zigzag.  I went from left, to right to left again.  I paused, turned around, looked about in confusion, scratched my head, even put my stuff down on the ground and panted in an exaggerated fashion.  I managed to frustrate so many hopeful party-goers that had looks been daggers, I would have laid in a heap of my own blood on the gravel road.  It was awesome.  Gleefully I messed with them until my arms and feet couldn’t take the fun and games anymore.  Eventually I got to my car, but I didn’t leave immediately.  Yes, another car waited for me to pull out.  That carload of folks also irritated me so I sat there looking at my phone and killing time until they got fed up and left.  Only when the coast was clear did I back off and head home, feeling ridiculously smug as well as a tad bit satisfied.

This time around, I park in the garage just below my office.  It’s okay if someone stalks me; take my space, as long as I get out of the blasted building I don’t care.  I’d like to think I’ve grown up and matured but it’s not that, I just don’t have the patience to be that vengeful.

Okay people, enough messing around on my blog.  I’m gots to finish up some work and go home to my beloved couch, even as most of my friends speak of working out or going and doing something fun.  Clearly, there is no shame in my game.

Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment