Friday, March 28, 2014

A Good Omen


A particular favorite show at one time of mine had been Friends.  It took me a bit to warm up to it.  When it was at the peak of its hype, I admit that I didn’t really find much interest.  I’m not one into fads to be honest.  In high school I wasn’t into U2 until well after the initial craze, I wore scrunches in my hair when it was practically ‘lame’ to be doing so and Snoop’s useful terminology of ‘shiznit’ is still in use by me today long after the kids have stopped saying it.  Yes I’m that person, the one always playing catch up.  For instance, right now it seems like Scandal is all the rage but I refuse to watch.  Not because I don’t believe it’s good but probably because for the most part the fads fade quickly after one or two seasons. 

So I usually bide my time to see if the popularity lasts and then, much too many friends frustration, I finally get on board.  Mind you everyone else in the world is about 10 years ahead of the game while I’m just starting off.  That’s okay; I like to think myself as an individual.  When I’m ready, I’m ready.  I don’t want to be rushed long and I refuse to jump onto a bandwagon without fully vetting and weighing the pros and cons.  Can you say ‘freak’? 

Back to Friends…there was this one particular episode where Phoebe decided to go running with Rachel.  They limber up, get ready and start running but Rachel is horrified by her friends running style.  She’s all over the place, arms waving, legs going in different directions (which makes you wonder how one runs in a straight line) but she seems liberated.  Rachel, by the end of the show, follows suit although initially she’s embarrassed to even be seen with her scatter-brained buddy.  Since I’m a naturally negative human being (a few of you have argued this point with me, thinking that in fact I’m very positive but what you don’t know is when I’m trying to be positive or radiate it, the fact is I’m fighting all my basic instincts.  I can assure you inside; I’m going ‘yea, right’ at just about everything under the sun) I figured as normal sitcoms exaggerate everything and moved on with life.    

What’s the point to this?  Is this just one of my more favorite episodes?  No, not really.  There were far funnier ones (like the one with Rachel’s possessed hairless cat who she tries to sell) but the reason I mention this one is because of something I saw today.

As I was driving to work, keeping my phone clutched in my nervous hands because my dad is having minor surgery and well he’s my dad so no matter how minor, to me it’s major and I was waiting anxiously for Ammu to call me back after it was over.  My mind was distracted and the gloom of the morning seemed more prevalent.  It’s warmed up here in Washington D.C. but the showers part of ‘April Showers’ has decided to finally make itself known.  A misty drizzle embraces us adding to the depressing feeling even though it’s Friday and by all that’s holy we ought to be doing cartwheels with the weekend looming ahead.

I sat at a light waiting for it to turn green when I looked to the left.  The Potomac was streaming by quickly, the waters choppy, looking unwelcoming.  I made a face at it, thinking that nothing around me was lending any sort of comfort this morning.  I needed it though.  As I sat there slumped behind the wheel, eyes constantly going to the display of my phone in hopes that the call would come through to assure me things had gone well, I thought for the 100th time that maybe my phone had lost connection?  Or possibly AT&T cell towers had all come crashing down en mass.  These are the thoughts of a worried daughter I suppose.  I had promised my mom that I would wait for her to ring me once everything was complete therefore although I wanted to know, I stilled my hands.  I could do this, I told myself.

So my eyes slid back to the left and a man runs past, another lunatic jogger out in gross weather.  I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, D.C. is chalk full of health nuts who just don’t seem to care about how ugly/bleh/inclement the elements are, they will be outside…looking happy…stupid endorphins.  Since by now I’m so used to seeing this sort of nonsense, there was nothing unusual about it.  When I had first moved back to this area and was working in the city about 14 years ago, my brain couldn’t register yet now I simply shrug and go along my merry way (the destination is often the couch in my living room).

Why did this particular man make me focus?  He was running like Phoebe!  Oh yes, arms flailing, legs all over the place, head tilted and mouth agape.  And this one singular thing made me smile, finally.  It was as if the pure joy of the activity radiated through his whole being.  I’ve seen others and for the most part they looked either a.) Determined or b.) Pained.  This man though?  He was enjoying this, which was clear by the broad smile wreathed across his face.  By the time the light turned green, I felt somehow better.  Lighter in spirit and yes, I even thought to myself, everything is going to be okay. 

Weird, right?  That grinning silly ridiculous runner just seemed to be a good omen. 

Maybe it’s possible I was desperate for a positive sign, I needed it and that dude was it?  Maybe I’m stretching it but still I wanted to share. 

I say go out there and look for your good omens.  Even if it’s a penny on the street because it’s surprising how comforting such little things can be.

TGIF, Folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment