Friday, March 21, 2014

All is Right with the World...Welcome Home Mommy and Daddy


About two months ago my mother got onto an airplane and went to visit family in Bangladesh.  A week after her leaving, my father followed.  He would be back a month later; she would spend another month and then come home.  In the grand scheme of things, 1-2 months may not appear to be a vast amount of time to be gone from home and hearth, not when one is visiting the motherland but let me tell you, it has been pure agony for me.

My dad returned two weeks ago and my mother is coming back on Monday.  I cannot freakin’ wait.  I spoke to her last night and was a bit worried.  She has been sick throughout the majority of her vacation.  This didn’t worry me for the normal reason, her health is always important to me and so knowing she was sick and so far away made me severely unhappy anyhow, but more importantly there could have been an off chance that she would have to cancel her return flight.  NO!  This just would not do.  But thankfully I heard the magical words coming from across the miles, “I just miss and want to come home”.  Oh thank Allah.  I responded with a repressed, “yes, you should definitely come home”.  I don’t like putting pressure on anyone, much less my parents, however this doesn’t change the fact that I need my parents around.

First though, before I write on, let me ask for pardon from those of you out there who are without yours.  My heart goes out to you and this blog isn’t meant to be painful.  It’s not intended to cause you discomfort or even jealousy or cause you to say to yourself ‘at least you have yours, suck it up”.  Yes, I know this and I am blessed and thank God every day for their presence in my life.  I cannot imagine a day in which I will be without them and frankly do not wish to.  Please understand that this blog is only about my feelings towards my ‘rentals and my love for them.  It’s as simple as that.

So back to what I was saying:  my mother assured me she was coming back after which I put the phone down and breathed out a great sigh of relief.  I started to mentally calculate in my head the next few days.  Saturday I would grocery shop, Sunday I would cook, Sunday night I would drop the food off to my parents place, Monday I would wait anxiously for her return and be sad that I couldn’t go to receive her at the airport but reasoned with myself that next Friday I would go and spend the whole blessed weekend next to her.  This is what I do.  I'm a planner.  I can’t help it.

During their absence though, the one good thing was that Dad took his iPad with him and somehow figured out how to FaceTime me.  By the time he got back I felt like he had never left, that they were but one click away, which they actually were, however when he returned he brought his iPad back so I guess I’ve missed seeing my mommy’s face.  Anyway during one of these video sessions with them, I was at home sick, eyes sunken, fever high, hacking cough shaking my body.  The minute my parents saw me they both gasped, voices softening, sounds of concern coming from over the distance.  And guess what I did?  I reverted back to a 10 year old.  My eyes filled with tears as I tried to convince them that I was fine but that wasn’t happening, not through the sniffling and the ginormous lump in my throat.

Why is it, when it comes to our parents, we instantly hop into our mental Delorian’s (is that how one spells the name of the car that McFly used in Back to the Future?) and are reduced to needy, crybabies.  Don’t tell me it’s only me?  *looks around a bit frantically*

I can’t lie, folks, I’m a ‘parents girl’.  I didn’t write that incorrectly.  I’m not differentiating between my mother and father here.  And no matter how this admission may make me sound lame, I have to have my parent’s approval.  I don’t care what it is, down to the smallest thing, if they don’t nod and smile, I never quite feel complete.  The whole world can give me kudos but if they haven’t, it’s just not the same. 

So these last few months of the parents being gone has been challenging.   There was of course the whole being sick and needing (actually wanting) to be babied.  But other moments were as tough.  For instance, I missed daddy every Tuesday for music class.  I missed him calling me and saying ‘do you even remember this poor man’ or informing me (with smugness) how he discovered a cool new app on the iPhone that I shouldn’t be able to live without.  I’ve even missed him reminding me endlessly to practice singing.

As for Mom, well I’ve missed her asking me where I am, what I’m doing, telling me to eat right, sleep well and basically everything else under the sun.  A mother’s love, if you ask me, is unlike any other type in the universe.  Not that dad is any less but moms?  Well, whatever God granted upon them is indescribable.  Their very presence makes a house a home (as clichéd as this may be). 

I love my big bro, but he doesn’t make my childhood home the home I know, that’s all my parents doing.  Which explains why I’ve gone ‘home’ only once in this whole time and that too only to gaze up at the basement ceiling.  Don’t ask.  After which I sort of ran away.  Without my dad downstairs giving classes or my mother upstairs cooking up something that smelled so good that drool would pool in your mouth, it’s just not the same.

With the return of the two, under the same roof, I look forward to going home.  I’m sure to have those moments when I’ll want to escape them (and which kid doesn’t?) the fact remains is that my parents…totally rock.  Yup, I said it and I may have just dated myself for saying it and coming off sounding totally lame, but I own this proclamation. 

Anyhow, have a great weekend folks.  Hope it’ll be more restful than mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment