Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 3 German Adventure

For the most part I blogged during those moments when S wasn't with me which meant that I didn't have a chance to jot my thoughts down since she was mostly always with me.  I am not complaining in the least.  But that also means that now, as I try to reconstruct the trip, it's become one blurry mess.  So I'm going to try to do my best in remembering the details which do escape me. Call it old age if you wish but here I go:

This day I woke up, looked at S and said I was in the mood for Indian Food.  So she and I headed down to the main train station, where we found ourselves nearly every day since that seems to be the hub of all things to-do, and went to a place Called Saravanaa Bhavan.  We had mini idli's, I went with the Chili Uttapam and she went with the Masala Dosa.  I've filtched a few pics from the internet to show you exactly what they are but these are not the ones I took:


Mini Idli's

Masala Dosa

Chili Uttapam
After stuffing ourselves, we were going to go wander around but my foot was not cooperating.  At one point I was limping so badly that S offered to carry me.  Sweet of her but I had no interest in breaking her blasted back.  So instead we (really I) hobbled to the closest shoe store where I invested a whole 10 Euros in a pair of flat knock-off Vans.  They didn't work at all.  It was still as painful to get home but once there she cut me fruit (yes, sat there and force fed me) and then ran after me with vitamins, ibuprofen and Tiger Balm.  This ended up being a daily thing with her chasing after me and myself limping away.  She's quick and I never escaped.

That night, after resting, we dolled up and headed back into town.  I had decided that the only pair of shoes that didn't kill me was my knee length black boots that I had impulse purchased a few weeks back.  These are flat and did the trick.  We ended up grabbing dinner at the train station and the food wasn't bad although I went with chicken curry and she with...something she didn't like.  The weirdest thing about my choice?  One of the add-on's was avocado.  Doesn't sound too weird but mixed with Indian food, it was just wrong.  The fruit did nothing at all for the taste and in fact sort of blanded it down.  Neither of us walked away feeling very satisfied but hey, we were off to have fun so it didn't matter.

First stop:  S's favorite bar called "Kakadu".  It's a small little place that's very up-scale and chic but not overdone.  The clientele basically comes in for the generous proportion of food and drinks.  The proprietor is a Punjabi man who barely speaks Hindi, doesn't understand English well but rambles on in German.  He was very, VERY kind with us and by the end of the evening, we were not feeling much pain at all ;)

At one point though we thought we would head to another place, O'Reilly's, an Irish Pub where there was Karaoke.  Now I've already been here once while waiting for S to finish up work.  The bartender was happy to see me back, probably because of the generous tip I left and the atmosphere was ridiculously upbeat.  It was Friday night and the folks were rowdy.  Shortly after arriving I had to go to the ladies room and as most fabulous stories go, I met two ladies who were ex-pats with the UN.  They were drunk.  And that's probably an understatement and thought I was one of them.  Why they would assume such a thing still mystifies me but I didn't mind since they were fun. 
 
Back upstairs, they spotted me and introduced me to the rest, about 10 or so folks and we all sang together.  S insisted that I sing "Killing Me Softly" my go-to and I think I did a pretty good job.  Actually, compared to the others?  I slammed dunked that and no ears bled.  Phew.
 
We met a lot of interesting folks that night, proving that with enough drinks and merriment, it honestly didn't matter where you came from, connections could be made.  We got home at about 3:30am-ish and promptly collapsed into bed.  I had to force S to go and rest herself and as soon as she disappeared, I can't remember even pulling the covers up. 
 
I made no grand observations that day, not more than what I have mentioned.  It was just a simply nice, calm day where I didn't think of work, responsibilities more than what I would wear or eat and where we would go and that last decision I allowed S to take over for me.  She did so happily and pampered me as she had been doing and as she would continue to do. 
 
I've taken many vacations and other than the ones where I go home (as in to the Mother Land) to visit family, they are for the most part stressful to some extent or another.  Granted those to the Islands are pretty relaxed but there's a lot one has to do for themselves even there.  This trip was absolutely different than all of those put together. 
 
Now I'm simply thinking about when I can return.


No comments:

Post a Comment