Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day 1 German Adventure

Had trouble sleeping last night although one would think I would have passed out after such a long journey. But my brain nor life works so easily or in such predictable patterns. Instead I was up chatting with my bestie until I had to order her to bed and I mean literally tell her to go.

As for my first impressions of Germany, I will admit that as we drove through Frankfurt was shock at how...American this place seems. And I don't mean to say that in a elitist and therefore shocked sort of way but rather that I was expecting gingerbread like structures and old world Europe. S laughed a lot at how disappointed I seemed but upon getting to her neighborhood I started to see more of what I had expected...Europe. 

Her BF, M, the sweetheart, met us at the car and hauled my 100lb (slight exaggeration here) suitcase up the 6 flights of stairs (no exaggeration at all). If I was worried about not getting exercise, I can assure you that concern has been appeased. Those stairs are steep and windy and there are a lot of them. 

The evening was wonderful and relaxed, but by the time I fell asleep it was 3 am and I was back up at 8am to hastily get dressed so that S could make it to tutoring on time. She's the tutor, not the tutoree. 

And then there came the autobahn.  And my girl?  She drives fast. I mean really fast. She's got as much of a led foot as myself which had me musing that if she were to drive in the states, that girl would be ticketed left, right and center. Why was I surprised though, when she informed me that there were no speed limits here?  I've driven Spain, France and Italy but I distinctly recalled seeing posted signs but here in Germany?  Nada. 

I should move here. 

And speaking of which, S has been steadily trying to convince me to perma-shift and I don't mean just to the country but right into her place. When M pointed out that the flat was a little "small" for the 3 of us, she said, quite nonchalantly, that we would just get a bigger place. I told her the chances of that were slim to none so she conceded (although probably not totally) and suggested i lengthen my stay...to another 3 weeks.

It sure is fantabulous to be this wanted and loved.  I seriously am all warm and fuzzy.  

Springing ahead, after her tutoring session was over, we walk what seemed like miles to a an area called Wiesbaden which is a hoity toity uppity part of town with quaint winding cobblestone roads and super expensive stores. We stopped to have a lovely lunch at a cute cafe and thoroughly enjoyed the day and yes, we got lost a few times. But I didn't even mind. Once back at her car (and she would tell you the walk wasn't "that long" but my feet nor myself were having it so we hailed a cab), we were headed home to get freshened up and then down to the city. 

But fate has a funny way of messing with well laid out plans. 

Let me explain how:  we're speeding down the autobahn and I vaguely recall S mentioning how she needs to fill up the tank. Well I was prepared to arm wrestle her into letting me pay hence I was somewhat perplexed as she merged into the highway figuring of course that she knew her car and distance from point A to point B better than me so when we start to suddenly go from what seems like 100 MPH to 10, and she starts to groan out "no, no, no" there was no question that something bad was happening. 

Yea so where am I writing this part of the blog? From the side of the road, literally and specifically speaking, the autobahn. S is wearing a safety vest and road side assistance just arrived. Total wait time: 10 mins. Impressive, right?  But here's the crux. The nice angel in yellow is going to tow us to a gas station because he failed to bring patrol. -_-  lol, so now that's what's happening.  The guy is gonna pull us along behind him as if we're unruly children. Epic, epic stuff here. Couldn't ask for more adventure in wonderland even if I wanted.

The thing is, all of that happened and we were home by 3ish which means the rest of the night still remains. Maybe some of that will be blogged, most likely not ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment