Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 2 German Adventure

So technically it's day 3 but that's ok. I'm using my friends computer which means there are slight differences in the keyboard which also means that I won't be editing the crap out of this because I'm lazy. Work with me please.

We've been having a blast.  I absolutely love being with S and when I'm with her it's as if I've always been here, together.  Germany to some degree has become familiar and to another degree a total different world.  It's fascinating to walk the streets and hear so many words that I cannot understand.  I feel as if everyone is sharing in a secret I have no access to but that's alright.  Equally bizarre is how many surprised looks my ho hum every day boring accent also receives.  It's as if people are fascinated with my twang while I am enamored of theirs.

Anyhow, the adventures continue.  Two nights ago we were in a pub relaxing and a very, very Italian man sits with us and starts to strike up a conversation.  His English is atrocious, his German not so great, his Italian probably excellent although that wasn't working to my benefit since I don't know Italian.  oh well...he was amusing and from what i could garner he was young and in Germany for holiday.  at one point though, he was trying to reference something about music and said "you know 50 cents, 40 cents, whatever..." and that's when the laughter came on to the point where I was unable to breathe and tears were flowing out of my eyes.  here was this Italian kid who was referencing a fairly well known American artist yet couldn't quite get it right but lord knew the inference in his words were clear (Italian = sexually suggestive).  After this I was no good and the evening just took a bizarre turn that even S couldn't believe.  By the time we made it home it was closing in on 2am and we were exhausted enough that bed beckoned and we answered the call promptly.

For all the adventures, the one problem that has assailed me is that my left foot has left me slightly invalid.  I'm not sure what I did to it but when I take a step it hurts.  Maybe my choice in footwear has been foolish, maybe I've overdone it somehow, hell maybe I've pissed off the fates but I've been trying to avoid too much movement at this point which means sightseeing is not in the immediate cards.  I won't lie, I'm a wee bit concerned for my journey home if my foot doesn't heal somewhat by then.

S suggests I simply hang around here till it goes back to normal or her other brilliant idea?  Move in with her.  Yup, that's her idea and as I suspected she's still working on convincing me.  I'm thinking no but shhhh, don't tell her that (S, stop reading and go entertain me).

With S has also come M, her amazing sweet boyfriend who is soft spoken, kind, generous and an all around good guy.  he reminds me very much of P.  Both have easy going natures and laid back attitudes.  For the most part he has given S and I space to be girls, doesn't even get annoyed when we are yacking on about clothes or makeup or whatever, and patiently waits for us as we take up space in the bathroom and every other corner of their lovely apartment.  He has been nothing if not the most best of hosts and I don't know how to repay his kindness for giving up his girlfriend to me for so long. 

I've been trying to sit here and remember what we did this particular night.  I will not lie, the memories have begun to merge.  I distinctly recall the smells, and how familiar her streets became.  How we never stopped chattering or taking daily selfies.  She patiently explained everything to me without becoming annoyed and at some point, even the languages around me started to become familiar.  No I didn't understand them but I became more comfortable with the vast arrays that floated about me.

I was curious about all the Kabab places and she explained that at least 30% of the population there was from Turkey.  That's quite a huge number. And although I had wanted to try some of the places, after the whole airport kabab fiasco, I wasn't all that curious.  Meh.

Oh another memory, there are apparently these chocolate hallow eggs called "Kinder Uberraschung" which contain a toy or collectable of some sort.  They are basically found during Easter and S told me how much as a child she had loved getting them.  I informed her that we really didn't have anything of the sort in the USA, not that I remembered and so she and M decided to surprise me with a 'gift' (as if they hadn't done that enough) and I got my very own with the cutest little dolphin toy which I named "Ralphie".  Don't know why but it was the first thing that popped into my head. 

There was also a slight showdown in S's bathroom where I threatened her to actually do something with her hair other than throwing it up into a bun or twist.  She screamed, yelled, pitched a fit, then stood a-gapping at her reflection later after I had flat ironed it.  I felt smug when she ordered her own and laughed outright when she told me she already had one, a small travel size thing that is meant only for bangs.  I stared at her, then it, then her again and simply rolled my eyes.  She got the message loud and clear.  I knew not to trust her on these sorts of things including the distance it took to walk from point A to point B.  That too I knew just to tack on a few more kilometers.  She had the nerves to be outraged when I trusted M regarding distance but not her.  Yea, go figure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment