Monday, December 22, 2014

So...What you do for Xmas?

 
[Note:  Before you read further, know that this blog happened organically.  I had  no thought of what I was going to write, hoping that somehow inspiration would hit, as it normally does.  And I'm happy to announce it has and off I go...but I just needed to be honest from the get-go.]
 
We're at the home stretch!
 
Xmas is around the corner and the city is starting to clear out.  You can tell by the easy peasy drive in.  There are less folks around in the normally hustling city, something that sort of makes me a tad sad.  Don't misunderstand, I appreciate the quick drive but this holiday is all about people watching to me. 
 
The Ice Rink in WH
Outside my work, like right outside, is a skating rink.  The construction starts the first week of November and the place is open for business by the last week.  In the mornings its quiet, with usually one lone skater taking advantage of the vast space, by afternoon it will be more populated, and by the evening it will be full.  They blare music that makes you want to dance around on the ice, although I do not venture close.  I cannot skate.  But I stand there and admire the talents of some, laugh at a few, and cheer on others.  I often forget that I have to get back to work as I almost jealously watch because I know that those folks are off work or at least have some free time to indulge. 

 
I've considered going down to take lessons but have quickly dismissed that idea remembering the few times I had on roller skates.  And after all, isn't skating just a different surface but similar idea?  No thanks, I'm just not coordinated.  Heck, I've been known to take facers wearing no heals along with no treacherous road conditions.  That doesn't mean I can't wistfully believe that if I ventured onto the ice, I wouldn't turn immediately into Dorothy Hamilton. 
Christmas In Bangladesh
 
Moving on...the office is quiet.  There are enough people here to be able to hear chatter but not nearly as it normally is around these parts.  The 3 offices next to mine are dark, half the directors are traveling or out, the others are feverishly working so they can make some sort of an escape and because we're so far removed from the general city area, it's a little quiet here in Georgetown. I'm half tempted to walk up to M Street to wander about, taking in the last few days of the lights, sounds and smell of Christmas but it's raining and well I sorta have to work *glum sigh*.  It'll be different when we are back at work on the 26th.  New Years will then be close at hand and I always find that the spirit is different.  It goes from a 'family' mind set to 'let's party' sort, not that I'm complaining but this is my favorite time of year regardless.
 
I often wonder what other people around the world are doing just around this time of year.  With the full understanding that not everyone celebrates Christmas or even for that matter has the day off, still I wonder.  Like for instance, those Christians living somewhere in India, what do you do?  How about in Dubai?  I know for a fact that Hong Kong is big into the holiday, since I was there just after New Years and saw the evidence.
 
My bestie in Germany regales me with stories of Christmas markets, yule logs and other traditions that I adore being educated about.  My friends in Bangladesh who are also Christian, sing carols in Bengali!  I loved this and had no idea.  
 

Christmas in Germany
Here are a few other traditions I researched and found fascinating:
 
Argentina: Another Christmas Eve night tradition are 'globos', paper decorations with a light inside that float into the sky (like Chinese Lanterns). The sky is filled with them on Christmas Eve after midnight.
 

Christmas in Antartica
Armenia: Santa Claus Gaghant Baba / Kaghand Papa traditionally comes on New Year's Eve (December 31st) because Christmas Day itself is thought of as more of a religious holiday in Armenia.
 
China: Some people go Carol singing, although not many people understand them or know about the Christmas Story. Jingle Bells is a popular Carol in China!
 
Christmas in Australia
Egypt: In Egypt, Santa is called Baba Noël (meaning Father Christmas). Children hope that he will climb through a window and will leave some presents! They might leave some kahk (special sweet biscuits) out for Baba Noël.
 
Greenland: In the villages of Polar Inuits, families like to visit each other and have parties. They drink coffee and eat cakes and exchange brightly wrapped parcels. Traditional presents are model sledges, a pairs of polished walrus tusks, or sealskin mitts. Everyone in the village gets a gift and children go from house to hhouse, singing songs.
 
Haiti: On Christmas Eve, children place their newly cleaned shoes, filled with straw under the tree on the porch. They hope that Santa (called 'Tonton Nwèl') will remove the straw and put presents in and around the shoes!
 
India: Many different languages are spoken in India. In Hindi Happy/Merry Christmas is 'Śubh krisamas' (शुभ क्रिसमस); Urdu it's 'krismas mubarak' (کرسمس); in Gujarati it's 'Anandi Natal' or 'Khushi Natal' (આનંદી નાતાલ); in Sanskrit it's 'Krismasasya shubhkaamnaa'; in Bengali 'shubho bôṛodin' (শুভ বড়দিন); in Tamil it's 'kiṟistumas vāḻttukkaḷ' (கிறிஸ்துமஸ் வாழ்த்துக்கள்); in Punjabi it's 'karisama te nawāṃ sāla khušayāṃwālā hewe ' (ਕਰਿਸਮ ਤੇ ਨਵਾੰ ਸਾਲ ਖੁਸ਼ਿਯਾੰਵਾਲਾ ਹੋਵੇ); in Konkani it's 'Khushal Borit Natala' and in Malayalam it's 'Christmas inte mangalaashamsakal'. Happy/Merry Christmas in lots more languages.
Xmas in Ghana
 
Latvia: Latvia also claims to be the home of the first Christmas Tree! The first documented use of a evergreen tree at Christmas and New Year celebrations is in town square of Riga, the capital of Latvia, in the year 1510. Lots of people think the Christmas Tree first came from Germany, but the first recorded one is in Latvia! 
 
 Mexico: From December 16th to Christmas Eve, children often perform the 'Posada' processions or Posadas. Posada is Spanish for Inn or Lodging. There are nine Posadas. These celebrate the part of the Christmas story where Joseph and Mary looked for a room in an Inn. For the Posadas, the outside of houses are decorated with evergreens, moss and paper lanterns.
Merry Christmas Iceland!
 
North Korea: If you live in North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) Christmas will be very different. Being a Christian is 'officially' allowed but you can go to prison, or even be killed for being a Christian or even having a Bible. Christians in North Korea have to meet in secret and any celebrations of Christmas will also be held in secret.
 
Switzerland: In the Bernese Oberland region, there are processions starting on Christmas Day and finishing on New Years Eve. They're known as the 'Trychle' as people parade wearing a big Trychler (cow bell) or carrying drums and normally wearing masks. They walk through the streets making lots of noise and are meant to scare the evil spirits away!
Be Blessed our Brave Soldiers in Iraq
 
Venezuela: Going to Midnight Mass (Misas de Aguinaldo) is very popular and there many other masses and church services in the days before Christmas. In Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, there's a tradition of people roller skating to the early morning church services from 16th to 24th December. The roads are often closed to traffic by 8.00am to make it safe for people to skate!
 

Go Big or Go Home - HK at Christmas
Zambia: On Christmas day, children are encouraged to bring a present to church for children who are in hospital or might not get a present because they are less fortunate. After church, on Christmas day, it is a custom that all the children go to one house and all the adults go to another house to have a party and to eat!
 
Don't be too impressed now!  None of these words were written by me.  Want to know more about a country, check out this website and you'll see how good at plagiarizing I really am.

Below are a few more pictures I found by trolling the net of Christmas celebrations around the world:
One of more fav pics, Christmas in Rio
Alaska, cold but beautiful.
Botswana Christmas
Oh Canada, Oh Canada...
Ecuador...Merry Christmas!
 
Christmas In Ireland
Maldives, enjoy yourself a chillax Christmas
 
As for me?  I have my tree put up which I gaze at lovingly every single day.  When I drive up to my house and see it glowing in the window, I believe my heart truly sighs.  I know I'm not alone in this.  No matter what religion, what culture, what what, you got to love yourself some Christmas, something that was brought home to me today when my two besties N&N both texted randomly to tell me how much they love this time of year.
 
I couldn't agree more :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment