Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanks for Giving

As the streets of DC become hushed and quiet...
As folks pack into mini-vans and overload their trunks with enough things for the next few days of vacation...
As some dream about turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy ladled into the middle, herb-y stuffing and tart cranberry sauce...
As people scope out what sort of Black Friday goodies they'll be scoring or possibly planning to laze away the coming few days on a couch being one with their remote control and indulging in nonstop football...
As parent(s) anxiously await their brood to come home or new couples excitedly pour over recipes to figure out how they'll be cooking their first 15lb bird...
As kids whoop with joy while the last bell rings heralding in the few days break they'll receive...
As a few wipe tears of nostalgia away in remembrance of holidays past and those who are with them no more...
As pies and other sweet treats are being made in busy fragrant-ful kitchens and pumpkin gourds and fall leaves are gathered to make the perfect table scape...
As all these things are happening, I wonder to myself how much contemplation of the bounties that we are blessed with or giving of thanks are we doing?

As some of you know (and a lot of you probably don't) I volunteer at the Capital Area Food Bank.  I started back when I was at the x-firm and have continued religiously since.  The first visit was right around this time of the year and I thought to myself as soon as I got the email, why not.  We got to the big dilapidated warehouse and was shown a video regarding how the food bank helps the community, where the donations come from and what our help meant in the grand scheme of things.

We all tromped down to the main floor and were told that we'd be making 350 brown bags filled with 'staple' goods for the elderly for Thanksgiving.  As we were working I was slightly taken aback.  There were elderly people out there who would not be with family during the holiday?  350 sure seemed like a huge number but nothing compared to the actual numbers of hungry that apparently frequented the food bank on a daily basis...I was shocked.  My mind raced and I couldn't seem to fathom what I was being told, how bad it was even in a country like the United States where it seems everything is about excess...so hunger?  Really?  I couldn't help but wonder at myself also, about how ignorant and blind I was.  Was I so epically ignorant to the plight of my own fellow man?  What world was I living in anyhow?  Of course there are hungry people out there, more then I imagine and more then I would like to believe, that too all around me including in my very own neighborhood.  And the evidence of this was in that one singular space where food was being moved in and out on a daily basis in astounding numbers.

It was an eye opening experience for sure and one which also affected me deeply, pulling at my heart strings in a fashion I could not at that time fathom.  I have gone back every month since then, 5 years ago now almost, only missing if something very important would crop up therefore making it nearly impossible to get away.  I have never looked at it as an obligation or a chore.  Those of us who go together have become buddies, sort of warriors against hunger, except like we volunteer once a month.  Truthfully, I get excited about going as does buddy "F" (again I refuse to take names here), who goes with me and has been doing so for nearly 3 years.  When either of us miss it, we tend to bitch and moan while feeling guilty. 

At the end of the day, we may not be doing more then a few hours worth of work and it may not be considered 'much' in the grand scheme of things but I think it is indeed something, may be more than what most are willing to do or have done? 

No really I swear to you this isn't a lecture regarding giving and community service, you all have heard that before endlessly on TV, from organizations passing out fliers or even friends.  This isn't an effort to guilt you into running out and finding the first charitable institute, roll up your sleeves and start a-helpin'. 

The purpose of this is to simply tell you what I'm thankful for...because I too, like so many others, go through life just taking things for granted. 

Here is what I'm grateful for:
The life given to me to make of it what I can.
Each new day that brings endless opportunities.
Family to care for me, bug me, harass me, fight with me, fight for me, hug me and love me unconditionally.
A mother and father who are still with me (Ameen) and who I can not imagine existence without...a couple who have made more sacrifices in their own lives then I can possibly comprehend just to make it possible that I do not have to do the same.
Friends who have been there for me through it all and who have laughed with me as well as wiped my tears away and caught me when I was falling.
A husband who is about the coolest human being in the world and who, if I weren't married to him, would be a guy I would still hang out with.
A home that represents our success as a family and a testament to our hard work (mine and P's).
The food in that home which fills our stomach and never lets us go to bed hungry.
The fact that I have never experienced true hunger and neither have those that I know.
The simple fact that I have a roof over my head, a real one, and not a make shift lean-to or tent or a cardboard box.
Enough money to buy both the house and the food that keeps me alive.
When I crave to eat something, it's as simple as going and getting it.
Each day I leave the house and have a job to go to (which many of you know I didn't always have a good appreciation for this until most recently).
A bank account with money actually in it and the ability to pay bills.
The small luxuries of being able to purchase whatever I wish no matter how small or big.
The vacations that I have taken and am planning on taking (knowing that I can do so without worry).
The body that I was given which is in fairly good working condition despite some minor break downs here and there.
The ability to be able to go and get care for said body.
The fact that my friends and family are also healthy (for the most part) and happy (for the most part).
The memories of those who have passed away, they are always with me and have heaped upon me many blessings and dua's.
The memories that I create every single day (because I can).
The ability to be able to create new and wonderful memories in the future (again, because I can).
Those things that make me smile and laugh.
Even those things that make me cry because that means I am alive to feel.
A cell phone, a computer, Internet (hey these things are important).
The family that I am now able to call my own through P and the fact that they are fairly kickass in-laws whom j'adore me (clearly) and I them.
My Mom-in-Law and Pop-in-Law who gave birth to the incredible man who I share a life with.
The arms that can pick up a crying baby and comfort it, cook food for those who come over to spend time with me and can hug to bring to a soul who most needs it.
Legs that take me to work, to the mall, to someone waiting for me, to stand upon and run with if necessary.
Eyes that were lasered back to perfection and can see without the need for glasses and which observes the world with incredulity and appreciation (although not always).
A mouth that (sometimes) speaks out of turn but can indeed speak and carry sound and consume food.
Fingers that can type this blog.
A brain that functions (okay, sorta kinda) to the point where that I can figure out the difference between good and bad, right and wrong and act upon those thoughts.
Music to sooth my soul, lighten my heart and make me shake it every once in a while.
God.

My list probably can go on and on and on...I've probably missed many important key things but you get the jist, right?

Just...really stop and truly give thanks?  And if you can, give also (of course I had to throw this in just for the hell of it).  Believe me, it does your soul good.  So even if you're walking by that homeless person on the street again, a person you see every day and ignore, today may be you can give her/him a dollar?  Don't worry about how that person uses it, just give it. 

And also, if anyone at all is interested, there are food banks everywhere and they always need volunteers who care to assist.  Take a large group with you and just jump right in, the reward is simply knowing that somehow you did something good for someone else, that your actions may have counted even if you do not see the results immediately.  Remember, this isn't about instant gratification.  Below is the link to the Capital Area Food Bank...if you can't go in person, how about a cash donation?  At least think about it as you sit down in-front of the bounty you will consume tomorrow?  No pressure :D

*Note - the food bank was once located in a terribly old warehouse that surely needed to be condemned but now it has a new home just about half a mile from it's old location...the pictures below are from the new spot.  These were taken during the most recent delivery of food that my new firm colleagues and I made.  I'm excited to say that this firm too is now jumping onto the food bank volunteer bandwagon so this will make it two times a month that I can go!  Woohoo!






Oh, also...everyone have a blessed, happy, safe Thanksgiving : )

 

No comments:

Post a Comment