Thursday, November 8, 2012

Music induced Nostalgia

Have you ever been sitting, standing, walking, doing something totally banal and mindless and some song just pops into your head?  It's unbidden, without any reference to what it is you're doing at that moment but somehow affects you?  Brings a smile you your lips or a sudden sheen of tears to your eyes?  You realize how strong music is?  What sort of influence it has upon us, our emotions, our thoughts?  It is so strong that it can either conjure up a memory or create a totally new one that you will revisit every time that particular song is played.  And have you really thought about how many times we rely upon it to get us through sadness or happiness?  Don't tell me that with a simple playing of one up-tempo song your feet hasn't begun tapping all on it's own, your shoulders shimmying or your lips mouthing the words?  And please don't tell me that sometime in your existence, you did'nt listen to a sad song and haven't wondered "how the hell did that person know?  Is he/she talking about me?  God those lyrics are talking about me!"

Lol...or like me, played one song over and over and over again because well...it was 'your' song, meant so much and then subsequently bawled to it.  Wait did I just reveal a bit too much?  Oh well what's a blog for if not interesting revelations right?
Okay so today, I was sitting at my desk trying to catch my breath from the slight asthma attack I've been suffering for the last few days (bet most of you don't know that I have that sorta problem, huh?) when out of the blue this song comes to me, like literally pops into my cranium (below are the lyrics with translation provided by me):

Lag Ja Gale
Movie:  Woh Kaun Thi
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar

Lag ja gale (come let us embrace)
ki phir ye hasin raat ho na ho (because this night may or may never come again)
shayad phir is janam mein (may be in this lifetime...)
mulaqat ho na ho (we may or never meet again)

humko mili hai aaj ye (we have received this...)
ghadiya naseeb se (hour of our destiny)
je bhar ke dekh lejiye (gaze upon as much as you wish...)
humko kareeb se (me from close up)
phir apke naseeb mein (again in your existence...)
ye raat ho na ho (you may or may not have this night)
shayad phir is janam mein (may be in this lifetime...)
mulaqat ho na ho (we may or never meet again)

paas aiye ke hum nahi (come close to me because I will never...
aayenge baar baar (come this close again)
bahen gale main daal ke (I'll place my arms around your neck...)
hum ro le zaar-zaar (let me cry over and over again)
aankon se phir ye pyaar ki  (from my eyes the love...)
barsaat ho na ho (that rains, you may or never see again)
shayad phir is janam mein (may be in this lifetime...)
mulaqat ho na ho (we may or never meet again)

Just in case you wanted to hear the song for yourself...here it is and btw, it's an oldie but def goodie and total classic ---->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFr6G5zveS8 

Okay so the translation is a bit...well...seems sort of harsh right?  Like 'hey we may or may never meet so like, yeah, jump on this cuz you know, I ain't gonna come back sucker'.  Lol.  Okay that's a funny interpretation and please don't take me seriously.  This song is actually heartbreaking and I needed to share.  It's also been stuck in my head all day long, regardless of what I'm doing.  I suppose this may be my way of purging it. 

Hope y'all enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Ilike the translation , It's difficult to put the phrases in english :)... blip

    ReplyDelete