Friday, October 19, 2012

FB Blog Past - 1

For those newly following my writing, this was something I posted a while back on FB.  Just to start I'm adding this, and a few others, here also.  For those who are on FB with me, you don't have to read this, most likely you've see it already and therefore you will fall asleep once you've read the first sentence. 

Note:  This blog does not really reflect the new turn that my blogs will be taking, a more desi prospective of living in the USA.  Then again, not all my future blogs will do that consistantly.  Anyhow, enjoy : )

October 1, 2012

Ah Monday…obviously I should/could/would go on a rant about it but I won’t because we all know and probably feel the same about the dratted day. Just know I shake my mental fist at it. But I’m fairly determined to focus on something different, say an observation of life? Okay may be not something that deep since it is Monday and my brain hasn’t kicked into gear despite two cups of coffee. Yea, slow start.

I was at the airport yesterday to pick up my cousin who was just getting back from her trip away to visit her sis and two beautiful children. I was feeling pretty damn good also since there were big fluffy clouds in a very bright blue sky and the warm breeze was giving me the happy. Then of course there was the added bonus that I’d be seeing again after nearly 12 days a person I’m slightly addicted to (yes, you heard me, addicted I say).

One of my favorite pass times is to sit and watch humanity and where better to do it than at an airport (yes, yes, besides a city and a crowded mall and etc…just work with me here). Sitting in the arrivals terminal waiting, I realized I actually rather preferred this terminal to the departure. Fine roll your eyes because you think I’m just stating the obvious but honestly think about this, have you ever truly wondered about what sorts of emotions are generated from airports, the significance of them, and the true power? There are, but not limited to, elation of meetings, sadness of separation, happiness unbound, misery untold, intense joy and sorrow that squeezes your heart…and the tears. Don’t forget the tears which could be connected with any of these emotions.

The perfect example was when I spotted a chair open amongst the throngs patiently biding their time and decided I’d take a load off. Weaving through randomly stationed people, I approached but spotted little girl standing up on the chair next to the one I was aiming for and she was looking down at something in her hand. Upon further inspection it was a piece of paper but her little brows were scrunched in concentration and her tiny tongue was poked out of the side, yes she was certainly focused.

Her mother (may be it was an aunt, who knew) was standing a few paces away half turned to the child, half to the doors of the arrivals terminal. Within a heart beat a tall man approached and the woman seemed to hop (a slight one but hop she did) and emitted a soft cry of elation (or so it sounded to me). But she didn’t rush to him as I expected, instead she turned to her daughter (I think it was her daughter). The little girl was still very busy staring at the paper in her little hands, so the man who was now closer seemed to whisper her name (I was fairly close so I can confirm it wasn’t a shout). Regardless of the din of all those about us, and the swooshing of the doors opening and closing, the sounds of rolled bags and loud metal carts, even the distant hum of traffic, the child heard and her head jerked up, her face suddenly going red as she squealed and from the chair launched herself at the mans arms. And as I sat touched by the reunion I saw the little one burst into tears, burying her face into his neck and started to sob ‘daddy daddy daddy’. As he held his child close, kissing her and calling her name, he leaned forward with her clinging to him and gave his wife (?) a kiss. They linked hands and walked away with the little bundle still wrapped around him.

So next time you’re at an airport and getting bored, look up from your smartphone and take a look around. You may be inspired to write a few words as well

No comments:

Post a Comment