Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Apples + Adventures in the Great Outdoors = Awesome Sauce!




Autumn is here, or at least that’s what some of us insist upon believing despite the ‘unseasonably’ hot weather. Regardless, we are heralding it in by sweat-ily sipping steaming hot cups of pumpkin spice what-the-fuck-ever while baking in our own juices in 80+ degree heat (that’s Fahrenheit for us yanks). And because I love everything that is fall, including colors, smells, feel, when someone suggests something (really anything) fall-y, I squeal like Ivanka Trump when she sees her daddy. (Yes, that was off-color…what of it?)

A dear friend suggested we take a trip out to the orchard to pick apples last Sunday. Apparently, I went mute, eyes got super large (dare I say wondrous?) as I just nodded like a bobble head. I was definitely down and then some because…well apple picking. This would be my first time. My apple picking virginity would be taken from me and I was thrilled about it, hussy that I was being.

If you’ve never been (I am, in case you’re still stuck on the virginity comment, referring to the actual action of picking said apples), you should go but be prepared. I think we have this visual of running (in slow motion) through orchards wearing gauzy clothes which floating about us while picking the perfect apple from trees that are fairly teaming with plump red or green bulbous treats. Subsequently, there often is some handsome man, a beautiful (blond) woman, and perfectly dressed radiant children who exchange a lot of hugs with their parental figures. A dog is on the side jumping up and down, it’s a golden retriever for some reason. Oh, and Lots of laughter, lots and lots.

Is that just me when I think of apple picking? TV is of the devil, I tell ya.

Anyhow, the reality though is a bit different so let me prepare you for it while giving hopefully helpful advice, so you don’t go into shock, particularly you city-dweller types.

Check the weather
It’ll determine attire and orchard conditions. Even if it’s autumn, that doesn’t mean its autumn weather and this Sunday it was just simply hot. Wearing shorts was a better choice than long pants (particularly jeans) because you’re sure to bake. Of course, those who do protect their legs aren’t liable to get eaten alive by bugs but let’s ignore that for a second. Oh, and sneakers you don’t care to get muddied up are essential vs say loafers or flipflops because oh boy was there mud after weeks of torrential rains and those apples that had already fallen hurt under feet.

Orchard distance
They are never close, or at least not from me since I’m DC adjacent. Be prepared for the drive.

Time of month determines fruit available
If you’re looking for a specific specimen, just double-check to see when those tend to be optimum. In case you didn’t know, and cared to, the season for apples are almost finito.

Be prepared to walk

While this farm allows pickers to drive into the orchard itself with cars, we opted not to deciding instead to get some exercise. It was a lot of walking. Orchards are not flat; did you know that? Up and down, winding hither and yon. Just be conscious that if you do not wish to drive, then you best wear sneakers (this point is worth repeating) and you’ll sweat, like gallons and them bags of apples can get super heavy after a while. Also, sweat running into your eyes sting. 


Creepy Crawlies
Hey, it’s outside which means bugs. If that’s not your thang, don’t be going out there into nature. If you still decide to go, please shut up about the bugs because THAT IS THEIR HOME, NOT YOURS and absolutely NO ONE wants to hear your nonstop bitching.

Interesting smells
Due to the rains, a lot of the apples had fallen off to adorn the grounds, stankin’ up the space. It wasn’t as bad as say if you went to a dairy farm. The air, for the most part, was perfumed with the sour smell of apples and while it wasn’t unpleasant to me, it was surprising at first. I admit I looked around trying to figure out who had spilled a vat of apple cider vinegar.

Picnicking
I found this quaint actually. Plenty of groups were sitting around under trees breaking bread together. Had I known this, I would have armed myself appropriately but there’s always next time.

Chi’ren
Look, if you’re not down with the ankle-biters squad, then just avoid places like this because they are everywhere running, screeching, laughing, running…did I mention running? One little dude almost ran me over hence I mention this a couple of times. I love kids so to me it’s just beautiful to watch them but that’s me. If it’s not you than don’t be a butthead to go out there and be all sour-pussed. I say stay safely in your coffee-houses concerned about eating healthy whilst punctuating all your conversations with “organically” while not really having a clue as to the root of the source or ever having laid eyes upon open spaces.

Romance
Yup, romantic…if you want to be that is, but try to be so with the person you’re with and not just a random stranger, IJS. If you’re attempting to get all cuddly/close with yo boo thang than that’s cool but admittedly if you’re trying to do more (*wink wink nudge nudge*), most likely you won’t find that sort of privacy unless a kid catching you with your hands in the proverbial cookie jar gets you off and if so, ew and yuck. But don’t lie, you were wondering so you’re welcome for this bit of salacious information. Wait till it’s darker outside and then have at it is what I say.

Bathroom lines
This one was about 2 years long with 150 folks in front of me all clearly doing their business as slow as humanly possible. Alright, I exaggerate. It was not that long, it took a bit of time, and (at least at this place) it was super clean. But the alternative option there was the dreaded port-a-potty *cringes* Bring antibacterial everything or don’t drink water.

Picking from a tree vs picking from a bin
We were determined to pick right off the trees but thanks to the weather of late, that actually became frustrating. As we tromped through rotting apples we wondered if there was anything left to be had. As varied breeds of apples were already becoming one with the earth, there were other types that still clung on and for the Tatin that would be made later, there just wasn’t enough variety on the boughs. With little other option, and exhaustion from the beating sun and excessive walking, and even while we didn’t want to resort to the bins, we did…and it was okay. We weren’t cheating, they were there for just that purpose so in case you think that it is duplicitous, it’s not.

Tantalizing scents
The place we went to “Stribling Orchard” not only offered various fruits to pick, it also had a sinfully good bake shop so in case you wanted nibbles (outside of the fruit hanging off the trees), you got it, and all of those mouth-watering aromas fairly screamed fall. There were also refrigerators full of freshly pressed apple juice…mmmm…apple juice *says like Homer Simpson*Be ready to shell out though because that shiz ain’t cheap.
 
Pumpkins
Here the pumpkins had been picked from the patches therefore no Linus sightings. Still had fun doing this but remember, they charge you by the lb. and of course take the required selfie squatted next to the orange mass as you caress it lovingly because you must.

Water
Just take it along with you. We didn’t. We were unprepared.

Breathe…
Slow down, bask under the rays of the sun, live in a moment, fully. Leave the concerns of life behind for they will all be there when you return to the mundane that life tends to be. You’ll have plenty of time to rail at whatever happens to be pissing you off at the moment and remember not to let the heat and walking shorten your temper. It’s fun so keep it fun and don’t ruin it for others because your ass is feeling crabby.

Memories
I’m so bad at creating them because I’m also the person always looking forward. Maybe with age, I’m a bit wizened therefore I try to generate as many reminiscences as I possibly can for now I realize that these will possibly be all I have when it’s all said and done.

Okay, folks, I hope you enjoyed these insights. Maybe they were ultimately totally unhelpful, maybe not. The point though is that if you have never experienced something like this then go do it. I hope I inspired you to fall into fall with enthusiasm.


*Photo-cred goes to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment