Monday, August 24, 2015

Trials and Tribulations: Oral Surgery and Stir Cray Rubes!

 
Note:  This blog was started nearly a week ago :\ Fail.
I’m determined today.  That’s the best word I can think of, determined.  I have been, without a doubt, the worst blogger ever.  I tell people with a small glittering sense of pride that I have a blog and then when they ask for the link, I pass that on quite proudly as well until they say to me, “wait the last time you posted was in April?!”  Okay, that’s the moment I pause and wonder what’s up with my life.  How can I let things get so out of hand that I don’t have 15 minutes to actually stop and do the one thing that I’ve always been passionate enough to do?  No matter the challenges no less. 
So here’s the skinny on what’s given me the time to sit down and do this.  On Friday, I had dental surgery.  3 wisdom teeth yanked out of my jaw.  Apparently, this is an oddity at the age of 42.  In fact, most get it done at a much younger age where recovery is often swifter and less painful.  Uh…why the hell wasn’t I told this??  Why wasn’t I informed?  Why the hell wasn’t I given the option even?  I feel downright cheated here!  I need to have a chat with my parents, that’s what I need to do and this needs to happen swiftly.  Why would they put me through all this nonsense at this age when this coulda been taken care of way back then?
Anyhow, the sad thing is, when the oral surgeon gave me the prognosis (is that the right terminology or is it diagnosis?  Frankly, I’m too lazy to look it up so apologies if this is all wrong), then said I would need 3-4 days of recovery, I was almost….elated.  How jacked up is that?  Never mind that I was going under any sort of anesthesia, that I would be knocked out, that I was having pieces of me jerked out of my head…none of that mattered.  I had to take a few days off.  I had to.  I HAD to.  Omg, someone pinch me.  I had a medical reason not to go to work?
And whereas the thought caused me such acute happiness that I could barely stand upright, the fact remained that the work which led to wrapping things up on my side was ginormous.  Day and night I covered all basis for my departure, painstakingly writing out long emails with updates, tying up loose ends that would otherwise unravel if I wasn’t around (or so I like to think I’m just that important) and informing clients that I was about to be out-of-pocket and therefore would not be available (resisting the urge to write “…EVER AGAIN TO ENTERTAIN ANYMORE OF YOUR DUMB QUESTIONS OR STUPID REQUESTS…”).  Then of course there was lining up coverage and yada, yada. 
Made me wonder though, what happens when a person just up and gets sick eliminating time to prepare?  What if I had to just…go?  And then what?  Luckily my documentation in general was without question in place but it gave me pause…This does bring to mind another good question:  how sadly programmed are we that we are almost unwilling to give in to simple human ailments because of a ridiculously regimented life, of societal expectations, of our own silly hopes?  
That’s for another blog at another time…
Moving along…then the day of the surgery dawned.  I went to work as if nothing was happening that day, rushed through, had tons of meetings and stuff before leaving (late).  By the time I got to the docs office I was so tired that I almost fell asleep in the waiting room.  In the chair, the surgeon and his two assistants were preparing and cracking up at my nonsensical banter.  I wondered if they didn’t think it was nerves that made me twitter on like a hen wit but it honestly wasn’t.  I was just so ready for this crap to be over that the surgery itself was making me non-nervous. 
So how’s the recovery gone?  Fine.  I got a bunch of Hydrocodone happy pills anticipating all sorts of lunatic fun and instead nada.  I mean it.  Nothing.  Not even drowsiness.  Again this begs the question, what in the world is wrong with me?  Like how does drugs that would otherwise knock grown adults on their asses, making them drool into their pillow, do nothing to me?  And instead I’m just ‘waiting’ for that delicious feeling of nothingness to creep over me.  Never happened.  And by that night, the meds that they had given me had started to wear away leaving me braced for ‘the pain’ as everyone explained which would be swift and relentless.  
Yea, not so much.  Wait, wait, no there’s pain but not as bad as I had assumed or had mentally prepared myself for.  The hype was worse than the reality.
All in all this whole experience has been a little revealing.  Here’s what I’ve discovered:
For all that I detest working out, even the slightest idea of physical discomfort, pain, agony, etc. (after all who likes that crap anyhow?) makes me cringe, I am in fact quite strong.  Not just mentally, this has been questioned a few times in the past, but even physically.  I have a high pain threshold (which I was informed of by Dr. Awesome who couldn’t understand how I wasn’t howling in pain with the way my jagged #1 was crumbled in my mouth).  I’m also really no good at staying home.  Like, really.  NOT good.
I spent 5 days at home and went stir crazy by day 2.  I was staring out the window with a slightly manic look in my eyes akin to those in prison thinking of how they can escape.  I was doing much of the same, wondering techniques for jailbreaking but from my house.  Mind you the holes in my head were aching relentlessly but I did not care.  I wanted to once again be a part of humanity, to the extent that I could (I mean I’m not a people person so being social means taking a long walk or reading somewhere that no one bothers me).  But none of those things were possible at that time and I wanted to break down crying.  Psst…I did sneak out, only to be hollered at and ordered to return home.  Whatevs…
Compound all that with the fact that I was living on anything soft and mushy (a consistency that I did not particularly enjoy or do even more now) and it was just one big NO.  To this moment, if someone says, ‘hey let’s go get a milkshake!” I’m liable to drown them, savvy?   
Now, more than a week and some change since the surgery I’m finally pain free and 5lb’s lighter (yay).  I have been suffering some headaches up till yesterday but today has been so much better.  My jaw has stopped aching and I’m tentatively chewing again instead of gulping things whole.
So yea, that’s what’s been happening.  Good times.  I know y’all are jealous!
The good thing is?  I at least retained a certain sense of humor about this whole thing and now never have to worry about them darn toofs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment