Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Oh Crap...not another weather related blog...

When I woke up this morning I had a boat load of things to do.  Having every intention of completing them all before leaving for music class, I set my alarm and in fact even woke up when it rang without beating the crap out of it.  I felt accomplished, impressed with my own maturity as well as single-minded determination.  What did I do in celebration?  Why I went right back to sleep. 

Right...

Okay so let's say I 'dozed' for a bit, played Candy Crush in-between and laid in bed like a bump on a log.  I heard the wind sort of howling outside so that lowered the need to actually get out from under the comforter (oh lovely goose down, welcome back into my existence).  Suddenly that to-do list of things degenerated to ‘I can get to that tomorrow, right?’  This sort of thing isn’t a-typical for me.  My brain hates me for it later when I’m struggling to reconfigure a well laid out day but things seem to always come together somehow. 

Texting back and forth with my besties, giggling with a cold nose was buried under the covers I found myself totally relaxed yet wracked with guilt.  Eventually I did get up and got dressed.  This is where the problem lay, getting dressed.

You who have been reading my blogs for a while now know that I have a slight obsession with the weather.  Frankly even I don’t get it but there it is.  And for those of you who do not live anywhere near me, then you won’t know just how bizarre things have been around these parts of late.

In the past I’ve waxed on poetically about fall.  I love this particular season.  Okay don’t worry, I won’t be all redundant and repeat everything that I’ve written before (although it was very picturesque if I do say so myself) but just know, I LOVE THIS SEASON.  I also believe that my scarves, cute hats, boots and outerwear wait impatiently all summer long for the return of fall so they can all come tumbling out of storage.  You can’t convince me otherwise so don’t bother. 

Okay moving on, I’ve been always keen to note that as soon as Labor Day here has passed (early September) the weather becomes immediately nippy and the trees start to turn colors.  May be no one else really observes this but I sure do, even having mentioned it to those willing to listen (most aren’t so I don’t think there are any witnesses to back me up).  This year however Mother Nature has once again decided to play a ‘ha ha fooled you’ sort of game with us I think.  Just when we make silly assumptions about something as simple as weather, she switches things up to a.) play with us, b.) laugh at us, c.) exact revenge upon our sorry abusive soles, d.) is plain ol’ bored and hurricane season still hasn’t arrived or e.) to confuse.  There could be an option f, which would be to show us mere mortals that nothing is ever static and we should never get too comfortable with what we know is to be true.  I don’t like that option I admit.  Any which way…I think she’s quite the sly minx, yes she is.    

So in the last few days instead of nippy and cool, we get hot.  Not just hot but scorching hot.  The hot that has you racing to turn on the AC or throwing on the thinnest clothing that you can find and praying that the leather seats of your car doesn’t scorch your butt.  Yes, it’s the hot that should be reserved for July or early August, most certainly not September.  Frankly, this is nothing but a travesty.  I am outraged (so much so that I’m actually going to resort to using an exclamation point…jeez)!

I am sure there are plenty of people out there who are rejoicing in the lengthened summer we’re having, the unseasonable warmth, the beating sun.  I am not one of those nut-bags.  There should be a certain order to things, a way that things should fall.  “I before E except for after C’…July comes after June, 2+2 = 4 (*double checks the math*) and most importantly fall is after summer…after folks, after.  Summer does not get to usurp falls space, times up, you’re outta here.  But that’s not what’s been happening.  I’m quite put out by all this and therefore have been walking around with a scowl upon my brow…actually a sweaty scowl, which is so not okay. 

Today however I didn’t need to scowl because the temp dropped.  Started to do so as of yesterday to be accurate therefore as I stood there contemplating my closet, I shivered, a sure indication that may be fall had finally arrived.  I was hopeful to be perfectly honest but I also was a bit doubtful.  A few times in the past the climate of my domicile had fooled me into believing that the outside reflected the inside.  Wrong.  This time though the wind had to be some sort of indicator, right?  So with trepidation and a prayer upon my lips I wrapped one of my favorite cotton (appropriately fall-ish) scarves around my neck, poked my head out the front door and was met with…nippy coolness!  Woo! (Lookie, more exclamation points.)

I just implore that Ms. Nature stops’ confusing us because honestly all the sickness that has been making the rounds lately has got to be in direct relation to her games, right? What else could explain it?  And also may be she can take pity on all us fall lovers out here who like to walk through leaves and enjoy snapping pictures of colorful foliage as well as enjoy hot cider outside while wearing a light outer layer and give us our beloved season?  Is that asking for too much?  I think not.   

In case you were wondering, I didn’t get even half my to-do list completed but that didn’t seem to matter much.  I could smell autumn in the air and even spied some early Halloween decorations up in neighbor’s yards.

All I can say is…yay! (Shamefully, one more...exclamation point that is.)

As I mentioned, today was also music class.  My dad seems bent on ruining my life.  He is sadistic.  I love him, but he’s sadistic.  He has, in one fell swoop, killed every Sunday from now till the music competition.  I’ll explain more as we move along.  You’ll be seeing a lot of moaning, groaning and hyperventilating connected to this.  *sigh*

Oh oh, wait, one more thing.  We’ve recently been enjoying some pretty spectacular sunsets. The news folks busted out into elaborate explanations as to why but I wasn’t paying any attention so I can’t retell the scientific details.  Pity that I hadn’t thought of grabbing my DSLR to snap the pictures, iPhone ones will have to do.  But here’s a picture.  Enjoy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment