Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Where Art Thou?

For a normally sarcastic, 'glass is always half empty' kind of human as myself, I admit that spring is probably one of my favorite seasons.  Autumn comes hand and hand with it though, while winter is dead last other than the whole 'first snow falling' thing and the opportunity to rock the outerwear and scarves but otherwise that's about it.

So being such a fan (of Spring), you can imagine how impatient I am for this particular season to arrive.  It's just that Spring represents such newness, growth, rebirth, hope even.  Who can think of Spring and not visualize blooming flowers, shedding coats and jackets for warmish breezes and a strengthening sun?  The smell of fresh cut grass, the sudden presence of children's laughter renting the air as they run helter skelter in mid-play and the sudden pallet of colors literally "springing" (pun intended) up hither and yon?  I mean come on, such newness makes even the most jaded soul smile and come out of winters grey hibernation in hopes of something good happening.

For several days though, I have been wondering why Mother Nature has been so angry with us.  Last Monday we had a 'snow' storm (sure it didn't equate to much but it was miserable nonetheless, cold and yuckily rainy) and for the last few days I've been listening to weather forecasters wax on about another storm that is headed our way and should arrive by Sunday night and last into Monday morning.  Since we know how accurate these weather forecasters can be, most have poo pooed this coming storm as nothing more than rumors.  Well let me just tell you, it's now Monday night and yes, it did start to snow just as predicted.  They were right for a change...go figure.

So this morning (Monday) I stood at the window peering out of my second floor master bedroom window eyeing the outside with complete and utter sadness (as well as a bit of shock because in fact them darn weather folks had called it indeed).  Above was a gunmetal grey sky that seemed to be hanging low, below was white snow that hadn't completed covered the ground because it was still warm(ish) and all around people were bundled up in scarves, gloves and heavy coats scraping clean their cars of annoying ice/snow while looking rather put out. 

For about the 20th time I picked up my blackberry and hoped against hope that my employers would have decided to take pity and give us the day off but no go, they weren't having it clearly so I heaved a sigh and turned away thinking that I could have used a day to laze around at home in my PJ's and watch nonsense daytime television.  Alas that was not to be and so I was off to work.  Even as I was driving it was snowing/raining/spitting and my normally crabby disposition on Monday mornings just shot up several notches to 'stay out of my damn way and no one will get hurt'.  It was even hard to squeeze out a smile to the attendant in the garage who tried to make polite conversation.  Normally I indulged in A.M. chitchat with him and try not to be a total biatch but today just wasn't a day when 'nice' was going to make an appearance.

Work glared at me as soon as I walked into my office and I admit I glared back but alas it laughed at me, or so I think I heard it do so, and I knew I was beat.  Sitting glumly in the ergonomically correct chair that did nothing for my back, I looked around and felt my eyes glaze over knowing that this week there would be little respite for the occasional browsing of the net or more importantly, blogging (blast it) because the workload was going to surely kick my butt.  To take things from bad to worse, it was too cold to actually venture out the building in order to get coffee which would for sure sooth pissy nerves.  It wasn't even viable so I had to settle for the nasty weak stuff from the coffee break room.  Yea, perfect.

Grimacing over the first sip, my eyes involuntarily slid to a painting that was sort of propped against the wall of my desk, the only thing in my office that I consider personal, the only thing that I had brought with me to the job when I had first joined.  I had purchased it on my trip to Jamaica.  It depicted a beach scene, bright, sunny and inviting, the colors full of warm yellows, oranges, crystalline blues and vibrant greens.  I had decided that I would put it in my office and whenever I felt overwhelmed or depressed,  whenever life seemed too far away, I would look at it and think of warmer climates, the gentle breezes and crashing of waves but today I just did not find that comfort upon my study of the painting.  Because frankly, while we do not have 'crashing waves' near where I am, at least we could have the warmth and breezes right?  In fact, it should have long since made and appearance so where the heck was it?  The painting reminded me of what in fact was happening outside and I became even more morose.

What this all boils down to is, I'm annoyed.  I want Spring.  I'm way over winter and all that it brings, mainly cold, snow, ice, cold, sleet, cold, frigid winds, and did I mention cold?  I demand that Mother Nature finally flip whatever switch she has and or dial the thermostat to where it should be in order to make the heat start a-pumpin'.  I want the sun to shine so that I have reason to pull out sunglasses that are still in style.  I really want to be able to have a reason to shave my legs and show a bit of ankle!  Give me a reason to shed my beloved scarves and trade them in for undone collar buttons and peep toed heels.  I love boots but colorful sandals await in my closet.  White skirts are whining at me, telling me that they feel neglected while soft cottons are sulking on hangers.  I need to have a reason to get a pedicure, not want, but need. 

I want to be able to grab lunch and sit outside to soak up a bit of rays.  I know I don't need to brown anymore than I am but hey that shouldn't be the only justification right?  Have any of you visited this region during the budding month?  Well let me just tell you in case you haven't had the fortune:  it's gorgeous.  Not only are things a-bloomin' (such as the cherry blossoms) but happy people seem to be everywhere (whether they are or not is irrelevant, they appear so and that's all I care about).  Go for a walk around the monument of your choice, choose a restaurant where you can sit outside to indulge in food and drinks while you watch the sun sink somewhere in the distance, listen to music being played by some talented unknown at the corner of some street or just grab an ice cream, find marble stairs (they are surprisingly everywhere) and watch humanity walk by.   I'm not much of a jogger but heck you can use the paths that run by the Potomac if you so wish or you could even simply go home while it's still bright and warm to take your kids to the park.  I mean the options are endless but the first thing that needs to happen is...SPRING HAS TO ARRIVE.

Please, please someone find it and bring it to me?  I know a lot of people who would agree with me as to how winter should have long since moved on so I'm not the only one doing some praying here.  Ought not the collective voices of the desperate (tan less, toneless, lifeless) mean something, be heard and answered?  Of course it should!  (And yes, yes, I get how we should just blame ourselves for the present global state of the earth including odd weather patterns and whatnot but that's another blog.)  *sigh*  C'mon...c'mon Mother Nature...c'mon God, I know you can take pity...just do it, relieve us from our suffering (really how dramatic do I sound?).  I'm sure you can get us in other ways, but for now, just this?  This isn't too much right?  I mean, give me hope that there's a picnic or a barbecue not too in the future for me.  How low maintenance can I possibly be?

I read on my handy weather app on my iPhone that tomorrow it's going to be in the 50's (F) but I swear if by next Monday I hear again that we're going to have to deal with more snow, I'm picking up my sh** and moving to the DR, Jamaica or somewhere equally warm trade-windy place that I can find where I shall open up a beach shack from which I will be grilling chicken or fish and selling it in exchange for payment.  I guess I'll have to give up blogging because I know Internet connection is usually dicey down in the islands so unless you want this to happen, I suggest you start to pray right along with me. 
 
No but really Spring, where art thou?

   
**Attached here are  pictures I took in the past right around this time of the year...I figured I'd just show off some of my photo-taking skills and at the same time live vicariously through my old memories.  Enjoy!

Cherry Blossom time in the Capital City

This lil guy was smiling, or at least it looks like it right?

The Cherries, they are a blossomin'

Well hello there : )

The dome of the Capitol building right around sunset

Ocean City, MD

Shenandoah National Park

Look at that blue!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment